Cigar shaped wood with turtles wood burning or carvings

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Kevolee, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure which forum to put these in, but this seemed to make the most sense. I cannot find anything like them so I don't really have any thing to help out with. The wood is fairly heavy. Each one is about 9.5" long and the turtles have noticeable differences so aren't stamped. I will appreciate any help in identifying these or any leads that will point me in the right direction. 031.jpg 032.jpg 034.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The technique for wood burning is called "Pyrography"

At the turn of 1900 it used to be very popular. People still do it today, in fact I think you can buy kits at craft stores.

What those are besides decorative, I don't know.

judy likes this.
  3. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I think "Australia, long neck turtle", but that's just what sprang to mind.

4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

If you Google "Australia Aboriginal sticks" you will find some very similar. I'm heading out so am pressed for time :)

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are Australian Aboriginal clapsticks, for music. You clap them together.
    Probably from the Kimberley, in the north of Western Australia.
    They are made from hardwood and when struck together they make that nice crisp clicking sound you often hear in Australian movies, etc, often together with a didgeridoo.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Figtree3, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

But are they Original Aboriginal? If AJ hadn’t given them a name I’d call them terra-pins.

judy, i need help and silverthwait like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Yes, these particular ones are, but made for sale to tourists and galleries, like most Aboriginal artifacts. I recognize the style, just not 100% sure on the exact region they are from, I think the Kimberley.
    These are much better quality than that brightly painted shiny modern tourist junk. I have a set of original old ones, undecorated, but would buy these if I came across them.

8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

This 2 minute video from 1996 gives you a good idea of the sound these clapping sticks make and their use in Aboriginal ceremonies. They definitely set up a great rhythm. The are Australian, probably tourist, but look individually made and more likely bought as a genuine purchase from Aboriginal people (at a craft market, station or local shop) rather than a souvenir store. Hard to identify the area, but northern Australia (Arnhem Land, Northern Territory or Kimberley) at least. Happy playing.

9. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks so much everyone. I had no idea. One last question. Were the designs done with by wood burning? The first reply suggested that and it does look right to me

judy likes this.
  10. AuDragon

I would say yes and look freehand as well. I feel like I should know the timber, obviously a local hardwood, but the name escapes me.

judy likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Yes. Although pyrography is the general term, it is called pokerwork when referring to Australian Aboriginal artifacts.
    What do you think, mulga wood?

judy likes this.
  12. AuDragon

Either mulga wood, which is an acacia and very common in shrubby forests across the Top End or possibly eucalyptus, less common but quite prized as a hardwood.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted