Featured "City Police or Fire Whistle" C.T.W.S.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

[​IMG]

Latest addition to my growing whistle collection.

"City Police or Fire Whistle". C.T.W.S.

I do not know the first, second or even third thing about this whistle. There are a FEW online which are identical, but I haven't found much information on it. The guy who sold it to me had it in his collection, and he didn't know anything about it either. We theorised early 20th century (ca. 1905-1925 probably).

[​IMG]

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Shangas, I don't know if it makes any difference but . . .

It looks to me like there is an apostrophe before the "s" -- sorry but all I can discern from the photo(s) is "C ? ? ' S" -- do you see the "apostrophe" I'm seeing? ;)

P.S. I love the whistle.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I would say late 19th century early 20th.
    Many of the smaller city police forces were combined with the fire brigades.
    My home city police were called Hull City Police Fire Brigade, some of the fire fighters had additional police powers.

By the late 20`s and early 30`s the two services split
    Becoming Hull City Police and Hull City Fire Brigade.
    Even with the advent of radio the airwaves were shared up until the late 50`s.
    They are now named after the county area Humberside.
    I have no clue which area your whistle is from.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Shangas

Hi Davy,

Yeah I had heard what you've said. Apparently it was common in small towns or villages for the local fire service and police force to operate very close together (sometimes in the same building or across the road/next door to each other).

I have examined a couple of other whistles. From what I've seen, it's definitely CTWS. Problem is, I don't know what the hell it means!! The seller and I theorised it was a maker's thing, but we've no idea.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

ANY chance of sharper pictures Shangas???

6. Shangas

This is about as good as it's gonna get.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted