Featured Civil War Letter Unit Help

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, May 13, 2016.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!!

Hope you all are doing lovely as Summer approaches.

I purchased this letter from an individual who told me that the soldier writing was in the 1st New York Vol. Initials of his name are (I think) O. P. Cooke.

The fellow claimed his name was Orrin P. Cooke, but I could not find and soldiers name Orrin in the NY regiment.

Any help would be great appreciated!
    Warmest Regards,
    Scantic IMG_6001 copy.jpeg IMG_6004 copy.jpeg

2. ScanticAntiques

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Guess he lost his bet, though not by much.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not that it matters much, but I don't thinking that middle initial is a P. Compare his signature to how he wrote the P in Pa. Now compare that letter to the he writes a capital I.

I tried searching Civil War records on Ancestry for just O P Cooke and got little to nothing. Didn't even restrict to Union or New York. There was an O Cooke from Connecticut, though.

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It does look like O.P.Cooke to me. Incredibly touching. "It's pleasant when it isn't raining", frogs, bluebirds... wow.

EDIT
    Good point, Abuela.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  6. ScanticAntiques

Yeah, I agree with you, it doesn't look the same. Now what the heck is that letter lol!!

KingofThings and Brenda Anna like this.
  7. ScanticAntiques

He did, he did! lol But he was pretty darn close!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. ScanticAntiques

Could it be an I? (The middle initial)

KingofThings likes this.
  9. ScanticAntiques

I like it, seemed to have nice content. No major battle type stuff, but was interesting and sweet. A really nice little piece! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

11. Bakersgma

His name was Orrin J Cooke (variously spelled in records as Cook and Cooks. Enlisted in the 1st NY Engineers on 1 Sep 1864 for a term of 1 year. Lived in Oneonta, Otsego County, NY.

12. Bakersgma

I was also going to say that I was suspicious of the P, since that letter in his sig looks little like the P in Pa. Closer to the way he wrote the capital I, so I tried J as well.

13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Bulls-Eye!
    You so rock!

KingofThings and ScanticAntiques like this.
  14. Bakersgma

You know this is very strange. I know and will bet my life on it, that the post above ^ that starts "Not that it matters much" would not post, did not post and the little grey line of buttons that shows up in the upper right of the screen when the forum platform is "working, working" just kept going. Bizarre

15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

The Spirit World at work.

16. Bakersgma

17. ScanticAntiques

Thank you!! :) I really appreciate it! You do rock!

18. Bakersgma

As always, you are very welcome, Scantic. You find some really neat things! :)

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great work! -- An ancestor's brother who was born in a different county in NY had a very similar name. Definitely not the same guy as this one, but it is hard to sort the similar names out sometimes.

20. ScanticAntiques

Awww Thank you!! I try to hunt down anything that is on the verge of getting tossed. A lot of flea markets here in New England and a lot of it's just thrown in piles / boxes. If it doesn't sell, it goes in the trash a lot of times! We can't have that now can we!!! Thank you so much again. You are always so very kind and knowledgable! :)

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted