Claud Bunyard Ash Continuous Arm Windsor Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Barb M, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Barb M

Barb M New Member

D2F47D90-C08A-47DB-86A5-A36670DA772C.jpeg Hello: I just purchased 6, 1984-5 Nichols and Stone, Claud Bunyard, ash, continuous arm Windsor chairs. They need a good cleaning, and the finish is worn in some places through normal use. I fell in love with these chairs, and my furniture restoration knowledge is limited. I know enough to know that I do not want to mess with the original finish. Can anyone provide me with the best way to treat these chairs? Thanks!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, Barb!!:) Wait for others to come along as I'm not the best respondent on furniture! I'll tag a couple for you though..... @verybrad, @Ghopper1924 & @blooey !!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Welcome Barb!! - Sorry but not much to add other than these are nice chairs!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This holds true for handmade 200 year old antiques..... Not so much for modern mass produced furniture. These were originally finished with a spray acrylic lacquer. Clean them well and touch them up with some clear spray Krylon.

5. Barb M

Barb M New Member

Thanks! This is helpful - I want them to look good.

judy likes this.
  6. Barb M

Barb M New Member

Thank-you - Verybrad was able to address my concerns! I love “old stuff” but am a beginner - I’m looking forward to learning more through antiquers.

judy likes this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

As Verybrad said, no worries about the original finish. If these were $10,000 chairs, then maybe....but they're not, so feel free to touch up to the point where you're happy with their appearance.

judy, Figtree3 and Barb M like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Barb M -- Enjoy the chairs!

Ghopper1924 and Barb M like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Barb!

Welcome to Antiquers..........:cat:

Nichols & Stone's furniture is quite expensive when purchased new.

They keep their value 2nd hand too.

10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Indeed, funny how that is, quality SELLS! always has anyway.:singing:

11. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I've felt this way for some time. I'm glad to hear someone more notable say it! :)

Leslie

judy and Barb M like this.
  12. Barb M

Barb M New Member

I just really liked their lines, and they are comfortable - that they are worth keeping, is an added bonus. Looking forward to some good weather so I can act on the good advice and put them to use!

James Conrad, judy and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted