Featured Cleaning Advice: Huge Japanese Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LemonEcstasy, Mar 9, 2019.

1. LemonEcstasy

LemonEcstasy New Member

Hi guys,

I am completely new to the world of antiques. Recently I've been looking for fun vases for my flower arrangement and today I came across this one. I fell in love with it and decided on bidding on it despite all the stains it has. It is all covered with these brownish stains. I did look up that it is possible to clean the stains off, but I would like to make sure what method I should use. Baking Soda + Water Paste? Oxi Clean? I believe there's many experienced people in this forum. I really appreciate your advice.
    i-img600x425-1551489729fegysy20736JJ.jpg Stains Mark.jpg

kyratango, dgbjwc, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Me personally, the first thing I do is squirt 50-50 ammonia and water, (if you can stand the smell). Then put Original Dawn on a sponge and wipe it down. Rinse and dry.
    Stay away from any bleach product.

If that doesn't do the trick. Soak in Peroxide. I use the peroxide from the pharmacy. Takes a little longer, but works just like the stronger hair stuff.
    Again, bleach will take out the color - stay away from it.

Wait for other suggestions.

BTW
    Welcome to the board.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, LemonEcstacy! That's a beauty. Gentle methods are best as described by clutteredcloset.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd have a go with denture tablets, too.

kyratango, i need help, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi LemonEcstacy!

Welcome to Antiquers!

I use peroxide also. I buy it from the hair supply shop. It comes in two forms.....liquid, or creme. I use the creme as it is easier to apply with a paper towel. I apply the creme on a paper towel & leave it on the same place as the stain. Cover with plastic wrap to keep it moist. It might take a few hours or a few days.....sometimes longer depending on the stain.

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Personally I'd start with warm soap and water and a soft cloth, if that doesn't take it off i'd try a little rubbing alcohol and a cotton pad or microfiber cloth. I've never had an issue with gently using rubbing alcohol on fired porcelain as long as the decoration is underglaze.

kyratango and judy like this.
  7. LemonEcstasy

LemonEcstasy New Member

Thank you for all the replies.

It was a little bit difficult to find ammonia in Japan, as the most common one is ammonia water 25%, but I managed to find it in powder form as a fertilizer, I hope it's going to be OK. On the packaging it says its ammonia hydrogen 21%, so I guess it's impossible to get pure ammonia.
    The only problem is that the vase is quite big so it will be difficult to keep the proportions in my bathtub, but what percentage should it be? 50:50 would make 10%, ammonia water is 25%. I'm confused.

Same with Peroxide, there are different kinds and it seems that the one used for hair and the pharmacy ones are different. But I believe the pharmacy one is hydrogen peroxide (oxygen bleach) and it is commonly used in Japan for laundry instead of chlorine bleaches. I have a big pack of it in my house as until today I had thought it was baking soda... lol. Oxi clean is also an oxygen bleach (hydrogen peroxide). The other day I used hydrogen peroxide paste to clean a burnt enamel pot and it did wonders (once again I thought it was baking soda), I just added some water and left it to dry overnight and rinsed it off with vinegar in the morning. I had to repeat it 3 times, got rid of almost all the discoloration. So maybe this is the key.

kyratango and judy like this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I buy 40 Volume Creme for the ceramics, and use the liquid in a spray bottle for bathroom appliances....no smell......does a great job.

kyratango likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@LemonEcstasy

Sorry, I didn't realize you were in Japan.
    Ammonia in the US is made of Ammonia Hydroxide, it is sold as a household cleaner. Generally found in the cleaning supply aisles of grocery stores.

I have no idea what fertilizer ammonia is. Before using this, please do a little investigating.

When I said 50-50, I meant that I mix 50% ammonia with 50% water in a spray bottle. Ammonia fertilizer may be stronger.

10. LemonEcstasy

LemonEcstasy New Member

Ammonia hydroxide in the US has concentration about 30% concentration of ammonia, so it seems its similar to ammonia water here which is 25%.
    Peroxide known in the US is also hydrogen peroxide, but here it is sold in a different form. It is really interesting how different the world can be :)

Draft saved Draft deleted