cleaning glass question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Apr 24, 2019.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

hi, i was wondering what to use when cleaning glass? Is regular soap and water fine or i heard dawn dish soap works but not sure if that ok to use? Im looking to clean this art glass vase. Any info would be appreciated thanks!

purple1.jpg purple2.jpg purple3.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I use warm soapy water using my regular dish soap. Dawn is a grease cutter, good to use if your piece is greasy.

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Awesome will give it a go. Thank you!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If the insides are grungy use a denture cleaning tablet. Make sure you never abruptly change the water temperature, you'll crack the thing.

5. EddieG

EddieG Active Member

Dont let the denture cleaner touch the out side.It will remove the gold.I would not use it.

6. Ownedbybear

I've never had any problems with it.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. EddieG

EddieG Active Member

It removed the flower painting off my set of vintage glass salt&pepper shakers.Now there just glass.Not a huge loss,lesson learned.

8. Ownedbybear

I've never had that happen, used them on literally hundreds of pieces of glass. I don't soak anything for that long, though.

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Lovely Vase !!! ... Joy. :)

judy likes this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! That's the only thing I'm worried about is that gold paint. Do you think it should even get wet or will it be ok?

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Wet should be no problem, but do not scrub it!

12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The only denture 'cleaner' I've ever seen is sulfide base. It does not clean anything - it is disinfectant only. And the sulfur that remains gives you mouth odor.

Ammonia and water is best for grease on glass.

Distilled water for loosening hard water residue.

13. Ownedbybear

The denture tablets sold here are most certainly cleaners. I've used them for years on cruddy glass and sometimes china and porcelain. Basically, sodium bicarb, citric acid and surfactants.

I use Fairy Liquid washing up liquid to wash glass, but literally only a few drops in warm water. A soft old sponge. As to more persistent marks inside glass, I then move on to limescale remover gel, copper balls, a microfibre cloth and Barkeepers Friend, in that order of trial. If none of that works, it's sick glass and only muriatic acid or polishing mechanically will shift it. Distilled water has little or no effect as it's chemically inert.

The gold enamel won't be harmed by washing but I'd be careful if using some of my other remedies.

Pat P and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted