Cleaning Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by DeAnne, Nov 7, 2018.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I am sure there is a post somewhere but I can't find it. I tried the baking soda salt and foil. Yeah not great. Any ideas? on easiest way.

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What are you trying to clean? Many people use a Sunshine cloth for smaller pieces.

3. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Old napkin rings and a few spoons

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Where do I find a Sunshine cloth?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi DeAnne,
    Please do NOT use that baking soda foil method anymore. It removes too much of the silver especially on plated items. I have seen some horrible messes that it has made. I make my own sunshine cloths. I use 2 cups cool water add 1/2cup ammonia and 1/4 cup liquid silver polish. dip a cloth or cotton gloves in the mixture and wring out hang to dry. When the cloth or gloves get too black wash them out and resoak in the mixture. I leave the extra mixture in a glass bottle for next time.
    greg

kyratango, antidiem, patd8643 and 5 others like this.
  7. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with Greg. This is not a good method.

I like Wright's liquid polish. You can find it in the grocery store and some hardware stores.

For really badly tarnished items I use Mother's Mag cleaner, found in the auto aisle at Walmart. This is NOT good for early plated items where the plating is worn or flaking, or meant for jewelry. It can take some of the silver off. After using wash with Dawn and the silver absolutely shines.

The sunshine cloth is great for jewelry.

antidiem likes this.
  9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I use wrights silver cream (for heavy stuff) or a sunshine cloth for less tarnished, for jewelry I clean in one of those ultrasonic cleaners with a little ammonia and water. All are washed thoroughly after with dish soap and water. Sometimes I need to resort to a buffing wheel but would say that's a last resort.:cigar::cigar::cigar:

antidiem and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've been using Hagerty's foam paste for years. Rub it on, polish it, wash it off. Done.

kyratango likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I love Brasso...
    :dead:

aluminium foil, very hot water with a bit of cheap vinegar is often used on pewter items.

Draft saved Draft deleted