Cleaning silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dory64, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with how to clean this silver salt. It was heavily tarnished some of which I have managed to remove but I can't get the rest off. I've tried using a silver dip and Never Dull. Thanks in dvance for any ideas.
    IMG_20220912_171313_resized_20220912_051448569.jpg IMG_20220912_171358.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

imo...the salt has corroded the silver and there is nothing else u can do but scrap it for silver value.

bercrystal and Dory64 like this.
  3. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks Komokwa, I wondered if that was the case, but I didn't realise it could happen to silver.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

salt and silver don't mix....so most salts have glass liners.....

Dory64 likes this.
  5. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

True, I have four of these, which came without liners - the other three are perfect. Perhaps not used.

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

If you want to spend the time you can get it off, but it means a sanding and polishing process so may not be worth the time. Sand the corrosion off with 800 grit wet/dry paper (wetted). Then increase the grits to improve the surface, go 1200, 2500, 5000 grits then move to a regular metal polish and finally the silver polish.

If you are careful to sand evenly you shouldn't be able to see what has been done. It does require the silver to have enough thickness though, if it is very thin it won't stand up to this process.

Paul W, Dory64, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  7. Michelle1923!

Michelle1923! New Member

I am amazed at how the - put it in an aluminum pan (like the ones you use once and buy at your supermarket, sprinkle baking soda over the piece, and pour just boiled water over it works. I LOVE DOING THIS.

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Please do not use silver dips or the baking soda in aluminum as listed above. Both are harsh and leave a whitish rather than polished finish.

Gentle silver polish and elbow grease is your friend :)

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Dip is death to silver ! I learned that on here years ago.Sniped by Marie ! Great minds,etc !

10. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

What IS silver dip? I've only ever heard of it.

And yes I agree - what you see there is salt corrosion.

Dory64 likes this.
  11. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Oh dear! I will ditch the dip. We used the tin foil and washing soda method in the 80s on the silverware in hotel I worked at. But that was silver plate. I'll try some Silvo first and then the wet sand paper method. Technically not worth it, but it's part of a set, so it's worth a crack. Thanks everyone!

Houseful likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Tarnex and the like :zombie:

13. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Silvo reeks to god high heaven and above. Better you than me. But - it is very effective, so perhaps it's for the best...

Dory64 likes this.
  14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

The best technique I’ve found:

Find a silver cream that you like, preferably not too harsh like a tarnex etc.

Get q-tips and just start on one of the stubborn little spots. You’re going to have to take some time and patience, but the corrosion WILL go away. Once you finally get one of the stubborn little corroded spots to shine up you will get a sense of how long the entire project will take. The rest is up to you.

I personally find it very rewarding to see the finished product, it makes the effort worth it to me. Good luck and I hope we get to see photos.

15. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Thanks MrNate - totally agree, I take immense pride in restoring something to it's former glory. And yes, I will update with photos when complete.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

LoL - can't remember Silvo being quite that bad, but if it is, since I have a rotten head cold, now would be a good time . . .

johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. Marie Forjan

If it smells like rotten egg, do not use it!

Dory64 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted