Cleaning suggestions for (Eppelsheimer) E & Co. Ice Cream mould

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Coldblooded36, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

Picked this up today from a thrift. Wasn't familiar with them, and based on the reddishness of the surface, I thought it was gunmetal, but everything I'm seeing online says these were made out of pewter. Sorry for the poor pics, but there's lots of grayish in the depressions- looks like dust but isn't, just some type of soft gray wear on the metal. Can anyone suggest a cleaning and polishing method? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No, but you might want to clean the lens on your camera. A soft eye glasses cloth might work.

judy likes this.
  3. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

IMG_20201114_185117.jpg Alright Blooey, now you owe me an answer.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's still too out of focus to help you with anything.

judy likes this.
  5. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Some of them were made of iron,check it with a magnet.

judy likes this.
  7. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

Not Iron.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can YOU read what it says on the back?? It looks like there are letters BEFORE the E & Co.....

IMG_20201114_204121-gigapixel-scale-1_50x.jpg

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure it isn't meant for chocolate? I can't see how ice cream would keep its shape with those thin antennae.

antidiem and judy like this.
  10. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

Says 'NY' under E & Co. Stamped '602' under the tail. Online descriptions of these mostly refer to them as 'ice cream moulds'.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, here's what I found, mostly from "Google", if you want to clean it up and restore some shine to it....take your pick, seems to be enough to choose from!!! At the end is also a link for other household ideas which are known to work!!! Hoping you'll come back and show us how nice it looks when you finish!!!:):)

FROM GOOGLE: CLEANING ICE CREAM MOLD:
    1. The best method we have found is to clean your chocolate mold using very fine steel wool (XXXX, or “four X”) and mineral oil (which can be found at any drug store). Soak the steel wool in mineral oil and then rub the mold using a small circular motion—very gently to preserve the remainder of the tin or nickel finish it originally had. You may have to repeat this process several times. If the layer of rust is heavy or there is dirt and grime as well, soak the mold with mineral oil overnight first. Be warned—this is a very messy procedure! After you’ve cleaned the entire mold wipe it with a soft cloth leaving a film of the oil on the mold to protect it from further rusting.

2. How do you clean pewter with ketchup?
    Wipe your pewter articles with ketchup, using a soft cloth. Leave it to rest for 10 – 15 minutes, and wash thoroughly with warm water. Dry well to get a super-clean look. Using a paste of baking soda and water is also an effective way to bring some shine to your pewter item.

https://homequicks.com/how-to-clean-stuff-made-of-pewter

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

I tried the Ketchup because it was at hand. Didn't work well- I applied evenly and let sit, but came out unevenly and affected some areas more strongly than others. It actually made it look more beat up than previously, so I just coated it with purple enamel:
    IMG_5667.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. I picked up 8 Molds and an Eppelsheimer & Co. Catalog. On page #33 it lists #602 as a Lobster.