Featured Cleaning Vintage Hook Rug

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by SeaGoat, Feb 7, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I bought this out of an estate were doing.
    The lady was 90 when she died 2 years ago.

It looks as though making hook rugs and cross stitch was among her hobbies..

I liked the colors in this one and plan on putting it in my booth, but I'd like to clean it first.

There is a lot of conflicting information on the internet about how to clean them.
    Any advice?

What price point do these sell at?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We need photos of how large, what condition etc to give you ideas as to cleaning or price.
    greg

judy likes this.
  3. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Sorry, i forgot to include the pictures. They are added now.

It looks to be in great condition
    It's a little over 3'x2'

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have been cleaning mine for 40 years now. I soak them in the bathtub with cold water and a mild soap for 30 mins, then drain out the water and rinse once or twice. Then I roll them up and let them drain for a while. Then my secret is to put them in my washer and spin them almost dry. Then lay them out flat to finish drying. I had a 9'by 11' that was owned by a Collie lover and it had never been cleaned. That was a different job but it came out looking like new. The point is not to agitate them, just let them soak and rinse a few times. In the summer I used to dry them over a table in the shade. I found the spin in the washer spun out the most of the remaining water and they dried faster.
    greg

lovewrens, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  5. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

I had a Victorian 'Household Hints' book which suggested cleaning these rugs, and also woven Oriental rugs with salt on a damp rag. Rub gently in a circular motion, then back again in the opposite direction, then brush-sweep it off. I tried it on one of my wool Asian rugs and it worked really well.
    FYI, it also said to use stale bread to clean wallpaper, and that worked as well :)

antidiem, lovewrens, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted