Cleaning Vintage Silk Embroidery

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Rosiposey, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is "How to?" your question, Rosiposey? If yes, the answer is... Cleaning, if possible, would best be left to a professional textile restorer. (Is that mold I'm seeing? Perhaps from water damage?)

And, by way, your Chinese embroidered panel appears to be 100 years old or older so I think you'd be safe in describing it as "antique" rather than "vintage."

Debora

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    antidiem and cxgirl like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Rosiposey:)

good advice from Debora:)
    I wonder if this is a rank badge? I think it was @2manybooks that posted one that was under glass on a tray. What size is it @Rosiposey?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, and apologies. I completely missed that this was framed as a tray. (Time to change the ol' bifocals.) That would explain any water damage.

Debora

6. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

Thank you Debora - yes definitely older than 100 years. I will update my verbiage!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Always better to be (verbally) safe than sorry. Most people use the term "antique" when they should use "vintage"

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The one that I have (and posted on the earlier thread) is mounted in a very similar tray. I believe this was a common way to convert them for sale to collectors.

@Rosiposey, is yours under glass, or exposed? It is difficult to tell from the photos what the condition issues actually are. But it doesn't look good.

For cleaning, I would recommend you contact a professional textile conservator for an assessment and treatment plan. This is a complex textile. At least some of the embroidery threads appear to be metallic (thin ribbons of metal, silver or gold, wrapped around a fiber core), and these pose particular challenges in cleaning.

This website for the American Institute for Conservation provides a way to look for a conservator in your area. You should look for someone who has experience with Chinese rank badges.
    https://www.culturalheritage.org/about-conservation/find-a-conservator

I believe your badge was for a fifth rank official, denoted by a silver pheasant, similar to this one:
    [​IMG]
    https://cathy-hunt.co.uk/chinese-square-mandarin-rank-badge-of-a-silver-pheasant

10. Rosiposey

Rosiposey Member

In case anyone else is confused, I looked it up: Antique: a collectible item at least 100 years old. Vintage: A culturally significant item ranging from 20-99 years in age, worthy of being collected. Authentic, aged pieces in various conditions. Collectible: something inherently valuable or worth more than it was originally sold for.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I might quibble with the definition of Collectible.

Debora

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Collectible - something you can fool someone into paying a daft amount of money for. ;)

Figtree3, moreotherstuff and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted