Featured Clear glass vase - gold painted trim - engraved/cut irises - where from?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Nov 30, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Hello again good folks! Here's a vase I found today, and picked it up to hopefully learn something from it :)

The base is ground flat/highly polished with some significant use/age wear. Moderately heavy glass, not super light/delicate. An unfortunate chip to the outside of the base - but for the 2 bucks I paid - I don't mind. The base + the trim make me think maybe italian but - not much else to go on... 9.5" tall, about 3.5" diameter at the base. Any thoughts on where from, and how old?

Thanks again for having a look!

49144362713_af10e81f7b_kdev.jpg 49144858926_bc2974dc94_kdev.jpg 49144858961_b88b1036ef_kdev.jpg 49144859006_299b0b9c5a_kdev.jpg 49145057567_719395bef2_kdev.jpg 49144858396_809b7c455a_kdev.jpg 49144362328_1e4aae740b_kdev.jpg 49144858421_6317b51501_kdev.jpg 49144361768_815a78306c_kdev.jpg 49144361963_4136b4956a_kdev.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Iris are one of my favorite flowers. Maybe 'etched' is the right word for how these were done? My first thought on origin is France.

3. aaroncab

Thanks Bronwen :) I definitely think France isn't out of the question. I believe(could be wrong) the flowers are wheel engraved rather than acid etched - basing that off the depth of the design into the glass, and how the it looks magnified. Again - could be wrong for sure.

4. Bronwen

No, that was my lack of knowing proper use of terminology. Done with a wheel is what I was picturing. But maybe acid applied after to get that frosted quality? Just messing around. The glassies will sort.

5. aaroncab

Yeah - something that took me too long to get straight myself - with glass - engraving is done with a cutting wheel - etching with acid. Unpolished engraving is grey. Hopefully I'm getting it right now :D

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

A Beautiful Vase !!! ... Joy. :):):)

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Yes, it is engraved, not etched. The Iris being the national flower of France, that's a good supposition for the source.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That gold looks Italian to me,but what do I know ? Pretty thing,Id have bought it !

10. Bronwen

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's cut to be seen from one side, so... meant for mantle display? It may have been part of a set.

Nice pictures.

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

When glass is cut with a wheel it has that frosted look. If it is shiny like the rest of the glass then the cuts were polished :)

Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
  13. Bronwen

Thank you. I like understanding these things. I must not be the only one who is confused. When you Google for engraved glass you get an avalanche of things that are described as etched; few that actually say engraved.

aaroncab likes this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It took a long time and a lot of patience from others for me to finally get the difference!

Bronwen likes this.
  15. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

What you have is called acid etching done with a stencil (frosted ), I have been engraving glass for a number of years, i use a craftsman metal engraving pen ,it has a diamond tip (leaves a cystaly look), used to put chinese dragons with lights taped in the eyes i would take out of a car stereo and painted them red ,on all my cars (i'll find a pic) . Using a wheel is called a die grinder/grinding, because it has many changeable wheels for it (achieves different depths with it , and finishes for a deeper look) , i also have a few of them both vintage and new . and the other way is sand (or bead) blasting . etching is a general term . DSC09970.JPG DSC09971.JPG DSC09972.JPG DSC09969.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  16. aaroncab

Thanks everyone for your input on this!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted