clear pedestaled juice or jelly finger patterned glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rknarr2, Sep 27, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I found this clear pedestaled juice or jelly finger patterned glass. I have not been able to identify it through my research. The dimensions are 2 3/8" top diameter x 1 7/8" bottom diameter x 3 3/4" height. I would like some help with company and pattern. Thank you for your help in this request. Rob
    IMG_6487small.JPG IMG_6488small.JPG IMG_6504small.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good morning, Robb. I am not a glass person, but I always like to read in this forum to see what I can learn. I'm curious, though. What does a "cardboard cylindered barrel" have to do with this glass? It's not in the picture, so that's why I ask.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. rknarr2

My family and I moved to WV back in 1976 and the cardboard cylindered barrel had never been opened until 2 days. It was not until after my step dad past away that I was given permission by my mom to start going through things. It was sort of like Christmas seeing these things which my mom and I do not remember from so long ago except for a woodened footed sheath with a knife on one side and a fork on the other side. So, it has nothing to do with the glass. I mentioned the cardboard cylindered barrel just for some history. I will edit and remove that portion so no one else questions my reason for adding it to the post. Thank you. Rob

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Ah. So it's one of those moving company barrels. I get it.

6. rknarr2

I did see this in my search. I did not see the similarities to this glass. I thought this one had more of a thumb print pattern than a finger pattern. I may have failed at trying to show the pattern in the last photo. I have failed many times in my life. I will try to learn from my mistake. I will replace my photo with a better photo to see the pattern. Appreciate the constructive criticism. Rob

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. rknarr2

It has a company that went out of business around Ravenswood, WV where my dad worked back in the day called Kaiser Aluminum. He picked up a couple during that time period. Rob

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. rknarr2

I tried the tissue paper inside as well as another method. I think the pattern comes through very well in the last photo I just put up. Rob

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. rknarr2

I think the cardboard cylindered barrel from 1976 shows how long the stuff has been inside the barrel since moving from Texas to West Virginia as well as a general time line to how old the stuff inside the barrel are. If my step dad had still been alive, the barrel would still not have been gone through. My mom decided to come live with me and sell her other house. My dad was a hoarder and trying to organize was really difficult process.It was more like getting a Christmas gift of not knowing what was inside the barrel as well as boxes. As you can see the barrel probably held 4 or 5 box equivalents based on how I think of a medium sized box. Its been in a garage, a barn and an addition on the side of a garage. It is not in good shape such as drawn moisture and the card board peeling off etc. Rob
    IMG_6797small.JPG IMG_6799small.JPG

10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks like packers goods for prepared food like cheese spreads, jellly etc. The rim is designed to hold a clamp on metal lid that you lift off with a bottle opener. When empty the glass can be used for juice etc. I bought some cheese spread in one without the pedestal at Fred Meyers a couple of months back. Likely by somebody like Continental Can, Anchor hocking, Bartlett Collins etc

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same as George.

Probably made by one of the kitchen glass companies.
    Hazel Atlas, Hocking, Owens. Corning, etc. and sold to a particular food company to pack, chipped beef, anchovies, or something else that would have been sold in small quantities. Benefit being you got a juice glass to keep and use.

Value of the glass is minimal.

12. Bakersgma

Pimento cheese. ;)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  13. rknarr2

My step dad got it emptied from the Kaiser Chemicals and filled it up with glass ware that my mom wrapped in newspapers from 1977 before moving from Texas to West Virginia. If the jar is cheese spread, then my mom may have repurposed it once emptied. Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted