Featured Clemco Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by CindyL, Dec 19, 2020.

1. CindyL

CindyL New Member

I got a Clemco desk back in September and think it’s beautiful, but have no room for it. Considering selling it but have no idea what to list it for - any thoughts? All drawers work well. Thank you for your insights in advance. 5ACCAA2E-1BC6-4EDA-B093-6AB748894AC8.jpeg B5B5CF88-7B79-4F5E-B225-9115A470FBAC.jpeg 14DFD354-E14D-40B4-ABFE-B2AB95061B3C.jpeg

Ally330, lovewrens, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

many folks may find this a useful buy during the pandemic.......

but....
    don't know where u are
    no idea what the selling sites r in your area
    how big is it
    what currency do u use
    can a pick up be done in your area during Covid...

You don't really give us a lot to go on........

So...one hundred & fifty ...whatever cash you take & 25 for the chair.........I guess?

3. CindyL

CindyL New Member

ok thank you for the response. I am in Maine and I find that most things sell on Facebook Marketplace here. I could list on Chairish or something like that where shopping could be arranged to anywhere in the country, but sounds like you don’t believe the value is there (would cost more to ship than the price of the desk)

4. komokwa

It's a nice enuf desk.....& very practical.....but it's no Antique....

Let's see what others have to say !! :happy::happy:

CindyL, pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, desks are a tough sell these days, almost any type or era. They are built for a paper world which we don't have much anymore.

CindyL, komokwa, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  6. CindyL

CindyL New Member

Thanks all. I think it is from 1920’s -1930’s so may be coming up on antique status. And the wood might be walnut but not positive. Maybe I will just hang onto it for awhile until I need the space in my garage.

7. James Conrad

Yes, walnut, very attractive top with very nice figure.
    Desks in general are going through a rough patch price-wise at the moment, they tend to be large to store paper that no one is storing these days.
    Good idea to hang onto it for now.

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Those knobs seem wrong to me for the 20's/30's. I am not expert by the way. Perhaps some research could confirm if those are the right ones.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

One suggestion, if you do sell on locally, take more photos. Get a good shot of upper part the chair which is quite nice, and for sure a good clear picture of the Clemco, Chicago label.

Sort of looks like it was refinished maybe? Seems in absolutely pristine condition.

This larger style version sold pretty well ($895) on this site in 2017, but honestly prices are down even from 2017.

https://www.harpgallery.com/shop/item26080.html

Then here is one that sold for $125. I don't know if that was shipped somewhere since shipping was offered.

https://www.loveseat.com/i/clemco-large-antique-dark-wood-pedestal-desk/

If it was me and I really wanted it to have a new home quickly, I'd go for a local sale, maybe just try for close to what you paid (not knowing that number, and not asking...) It is the kind of thing that if someone was looking for this they might be willing to pay a fair price. But it is isn't a style that is super popular right now. For example a consignment store in my town would not take this, just because it isn't "modernist", etc. There are a lot of cheap desks in this approximate style that don't have a lot of value, but yours is better made, and again show off the details in that chair and really play up the label.

CindyL, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  10. James Conrad

11. James Conrad

They probably are, more likely the wood ones on the $125. desk.
    In this case though I think the brass pulls are more attractive and offer a nice contrast to that well figured walnut and, also notice the Harp desk with similar brass pulls sold for $895! :cigar:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    CindyL, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. James Conrad

Even the drawer fronts are nicely figured

5ACCAA2E-1BC6-4EDA-B093-6AB748894AC8R.jpeg

cxgirl, CindyL, Ally330 and 3 others like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

You're right, they appear to have more contrast, and draw your eye. On the Harp desk, they also appear on the pull out shelves.

CindyL, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  14. Ally330

Ally330 Weekend thrifter

What a beautiful desk! Unfortunately I've seen several similar ones at local auction (Ohio) for $30. Especially if they are in a weird place, I've seen gorgeous furniture go for $1 because its on the second floor, etc. I bought an early Pennsylvania hutch for $50, and a lovely book case desk combo for $20 two weeks ago. Heck, not to be mean, but our local habitat for humanity has similar desks for $60.

Yours is exceptionally clean and nice. Make sure there is no damage and put it on a few local sites for $125 and you should get some bites I think. Also the lamp on the table, at least in my area would go for $60 as well.

15. CindyL

CindyL New Member

I think the knobs might be original. I saw some similar on another Clemco desk. I actually tried to clean them (maybe I shouldn’t have) and so they are brighter brass now

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. CindyL

CindyL New Member

Thank you for your comment. Yes, I just refinished it this week. I basically just gave it a good sanding, then put a little wax on it to bring out the wood grain. I recovered the chair (which I don’t believe is the same manufacturer) since the fabric on there was a vinyl and was torn.

Ally330 and James Conrad like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Glad you found out. They will dull back up fast enough. :)

CindyL likes this.
  18. CindyL

CindyL New Member

do you like how I staged it in my garage surrounded by all my junk. This is the problem, I don’t have room in the house. Maybe I need to start collecting something a little smaller than old furniture

Ally330 and komokwa like this.
  19. CindyL

CindyL New Member

Thank you for responding

Ally330 and komokwa like this.
  20. komokwa

If I had that much room in my garage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :playful::playful::inpain::inpain::inpain:

CindyL likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted