Featured Clock, bronze, who is the person?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by fettan4, Feb 26, 2020.

1. fettan4

fettan4 Active Member

33A33A69-DF6C-4BAE-9DED-BE4966702F08.jpeg 781C6EED-AE54-4F48-A43E-A28E498F0725.jpeg Is there anyone who can identify this person. Or is it a historical or religous person?
    Clock from Paris, Marked 1827

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wonder if it might be Mary of Modena and James Francis Edward Stuart (James III). Mary smuggled James into France where he lived as pretender to the English throne (supported by Louis XIV who always referred to him as King of England) after his father was ousted in favor of William of Orange.

Bronwen, blooey and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure of date? Clothing (even taking into consideration that it's an interpretation) is inconsistent with that time period.

Debora

Fid and Bronwen like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree that the costume is iffy, but I see a woman (princess/queen) in flight with a child, and that's the context that came to mind. The child's suit looks like it could be meant for plaid, and the child's hair could also be Stuart period, but it's a guess. Might be a literary allusion.

Some "tempus fugit" thing?

kyratango likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Mary of Modena and James III just for reference. Regardless of depiction, clock appears to be Victorian rather than Regency.

Debora

James_III_and_Mary_of_Modena.jpg

Fid and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a mother protecting a child....for me it doesn't need to be any more than that to convey it's power and beauty....

that's just me though...

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

No, definitely not regency. I would guess late Victorian. Does it bring to mind anything from Walter Scott?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is a very attractive clock, isn't it?

Debora

10. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think I see a keyhole above the 12 for an adjustable Brocot suspension, firsrt seen around 1850 A glimpse of the movement would cofirm this. The dial style and hands argue a last quarter of the 19th Century date.

As always it is the backplate of the movement that holds all the clues needed to settle any question, except of course, who the figures are. The trouble with artistic licence is that you do not need to pass any test to get one.

komokwa likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Lewis Carroll in disguise with Alice ?

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Despite the obvious Victorian clothing, it could represent any earlier story, even something from mythology. I agree it could be a boy in a plaid dress.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree. And really, really frustrating because more than likely subject would have been easily identifiable to a Victorian audience.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted