Featured Cloisonne Bead Necklaces - sell or donate

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jan 31, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

When I was working, I had purchased three cloisonné bead necklaces from antique stores at different times. (I know nothing about jewelry except I like to wear it.) I am looking to downsize my jewelry and am looking to try to sell or donate these necklaces. The blue one is 30 inches long with 1/2 inch beads and "silver" on the back of the clasp. The green one is 20 inches long and has 1/4 inch beads. The white beads are 1/4 inch and would have to be restrung. Any help that you can give me in making these decisions would be appreciated.

IMG_1611 (Medium).JPG IMG_1613 (Medium).JPG IMG_1616 (Medium).JPG IMG_1617 (Medium).JPG IMG_1618 (Medium).JPG IMG_1620 (Medium).JPG IMG_1621 (Medium).JPG IMG_1607 (Medium).JPG IMG_1610 (Medium).JPG

antidiem, Inés Engel, KSW and 4 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sell..........or Give A Way here !!!

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Nice pieces. I sold a similar necklace to the top one for around $50 a few years ago on Ebay. Not sure how prices are doing these days. Seems like some of these vintage Chinese cloisonne necklaces are going for more, some less.

If you do Ebay, take good close up photos, mention the hand knotting. I'm not sure what cloisonne beads are the most in demand, but these are definitely vintage at least, and should find a buyer.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

As I always say of nice beads, if you're throwing them away, throw them at me! You can get the proper cord for restringing, often directly from China where these came from, and doing it isn't too hard. Hand knotting with thicker cords isn't that difficult.

KSW, Houseful, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Lucille Thanks very much. I have a number of various things I want to sell. At this point I am just creating a list.

6. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for the advice about restringing. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to give them away.

judy, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Are all 3 sets of beads from China??? OR Could one have better value than the others?? To me, the blue & green sets already strung are prettier, and more colorful with more detail, than the UN-strung ones, BUT that’s just MY preference too!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    KSW, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are gorgeous, Kiko.
    Both the blue and green one are mid-century, the blue one most recent. That twisted wire of the cloisons started to appear sometime in the 50s.
    The white beads look antique to me, with that pitting in the enamel. They would look stunning together with celadon green jade beads.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Unless the green ones have been redone, that's much later. Lobster claw clasp. 1990s.

KSW, Houseful and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Yes, I was wondering about that one having the clasp replaced. Because it is the older style cloisonné, without the twisted wire. These necklaces usually have those oval mesh and flower box clasps, like the blue one has.

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

AJ. Thanks for the detailed information. I'll track down, some celadon jade beads.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I appreciate this insight. I can replace the clasp.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced, necessarily, that the cloison wire thing is reliable any more. I have newish pieces with non twisted wires.

KSW likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

It is true that I bought them in the 80's and 90's but the source was always an antique store\mall amongst other individual unique pieces in a wide variety of styles and materials. I didn't buy them from a jewelry vendor, but saw them while pursuing other items. While the sellers could have certainly restocked their inventory with new stuff to pass it off, I don't think they were selling like hotcakes, which would occasion such an effort. I have been fooled many times though, so I don't know anything for sure. I sure don't know anything about jewelry.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Xristina, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Maybe they are now copying older styles, just like in porcelain? After all, I may not be the only one who prefers those old wires to the twisted ones.
    Having said that I must add that the blue colour of the first necklace makes up for the twisted wires.
    Valid point. The clasp is confusing, but clasps get replaced all the time.

KSW, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I am not wanting to be a part of this giveaway, but think it's a wonderful joy to look at these beautiful necklaces! :cat: I just want to watch the thread and learn more if possible!

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Beautiful and far too nice to give away unless you have an amazing charity you support :happy:

18. evelyb30

...or they're falling in my lap. :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: The green ones may not be any older than the clasp; it all depends on who made the beads.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Does it matter to the discussion of age that the green ones have very fine lines on the back.
    IMG_1623.jpg

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. evelyb30

The cording on those has been around a while too. On the other hand, lobster clasps have been used now for close to 30 years so it could be all original.

Draft saved Draft deleted