Cloisonne candlesticks. Glad I went w/my gut.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Someone had stuffed these candlesticks sideways into the out-of-season Christmas display area at my local thrift. Almost like they thought about getting them, then changed their mind and were too lazy to maybe set them properly where they should go. What caught my eye was the blue enamel underneath.

Honestly first thought -- 1970's? They were kinda cool, but thrift wanted $3.99 each (not the set) so set them in the cart thinking, "hmmm, not sure I want to spend $8 on these."

Did some more shopping, and took one last look at the candlesticks. Turned them upside down and "yikes!" a sloppy attempt at a repair. Someone just put a glob of silicone glue or something. Was going to put them back.

But something in my brain said, maybe just get them. Maybe they are older?? You can always return them!

When you see the photos, you are going to think, "WHY did you ALMOST not get these?" Tell us why, again.

I don't know what I was thinking. Now I ADORE them.

With some research I believe these to be Republic Period Chinese. I found an auction with a sold set that is very similar.

can2.jpg can3.jpg can4b.jpg can4.jpg can5.jpg can8.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

OMG,those are gorgeous ! I long ago was "over" cloisonne but those would have jumped in my buggy too!

judy, kyratango, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, love your write-up Lucille:) The things that go through our minds when we are thrifting is so funny sometimes, I'm sure normal folks would think we are all crazy. Glad to see you bought them as they are beautiful!!

LIbraryLady, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Oh, I leave out a lot of what goes through my mind at the thrift.

Here is the set I came up for a comparable, once home. This set is a larger size, but pretty much dead ringers but with more of a geometric pattern, not floral. Same hexagonal bases, same fittings at the top.

https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/307/1204/lot/41440

I'm not a candle person, but have to hold on to mine for a while just to admire them.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Holy Patootie, will ya look what they sold for too!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious: Almost looks like on yours, someone just didn't have the right hex nut and like you said, just threw some silicone glue on to tighten that one up!!!!!

AND I forgot to say How lovely I think they ARE!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does the hole go all the way through to the top where the candle would sit?
    Almost look like they are supposed to be wired for lamps.

The ones on the site referenced have paper inside the candle cup.

Lovely pair.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Top piece is solid with a bit of wax in there as well.

As a side note, these unscrew in two places. I'm not sure how the glued repair fits in to all of this. Noticed that in the link they mention some kind of repair or another. Maybe these were prone to coming loose.

Aquitaine, clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are lovely............nice find !

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous, Lucille, wow!

Aquitaine, Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  10. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Yes, I love them too. Great purchase.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The things some people put back.... My first reaction to those is "come to Mama". I think you're right about the origins and age; that blue enamel underneath is 1930s Chinese all right.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Nice find Lucille :)