Cloth print of George washington

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Grandmasattic, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

I found a framed cloth print of George washington that looks pretty old. I remember I used to have some cloth cigar cards that featured some indians and this reminds me of those, however is it 7x9 which is much larger than any of those. What would something like this be called? Is it a cigar card? PXL_20221125_151956277.MP.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A Google Images search identifies your image as after 'Washington Receiving the Salute at Trenton,' a painting by John Faed. c. 1899 so that's your earliest date.

Debora

426px-Portrait-of-george-washington-taking-the-salute-at-trenton-john-faed.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure yours is on cloth? That sharp fold would be a bit unusual if so. As would the number 196 printed in the upper left hand corner.

Debora

Grandmasattic and Bakersgma like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The missing thread at the top suggests its printed on silk like a lot of cigarette and cigar cards were, but the size tends to rule it out as one of those.

Grandmasattic likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What good eyes you have! Then it must be mounted on blue backing. Is that what I see?

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So here's something similar with Washington on silk. You might want to compare dimensions.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 9.19.34 AM.png

Grandmasattic and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OP'S image looks to be fraying at the VERY top in the frame...........

8. Grandmasattic

Thank you for telling me that the material is most likely silk, I can search for similar silk portraits now. I appreciate you identifying the original painting thank you!

komokwa likes this.
  9. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. Grandmasattic

Thank you for finding it, y'all are awesome!

komokwa and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted