Coalport Armorial plate.Any heraldry experts out there?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Aug 8, 2020.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

61BECC9D-DD1B-4518-86C4-F39B78BF060C.jpeg A90D1A68-718F-4EC5-A1FF-21957C093AA8.jpeg 92E3E513-12B8-406C-A9C1-5D9BD35474EB.jpeg 44B6D29B-50B7-46DF-A75C-E990697246C9.jpeg 9E878EC0-DB10-4179-AF56-E970CEEA5B7C.jpeg I bought this plate on eBay. It has the diamond registration mark for 27 Jan 1845 - a design registered to John Rose Coalport

The moulding, gilding and enamels are all of a very high standard and it was clearly made for a wealthy family.

I have tried to identify the crest. The red hand of Ulster denotes an Irish family.

The arm “A Dexter Arm Embowed In Fess Ppr., Erect From The Elbow Vested, Frilled At The Shoulder, Holding In The Hand A Palm-Branch.” Is Frankland family according to a silver website.

But I’ve not found the lion with paw on a blue lozenge.

As identified services are always more desirable than unidentifiable I wonder if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in advance

John

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There are some on the board who are good (though sadly not me).

I do have a copy of Fairbairn's Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, have you already looked there? I'm not particularly good at using it but will look if you haven't already.

3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It's not a book that I own I am afraid. I don't want you to go to too much trouble.

4. say_it_slowly

I'll give it a shot but no promises I'll find it (even if it's there).

John Brassey likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

First run through the crests I didn't see the lion/lozenge. I think this book works best if you already have a name rather than the other way around. (At least from my seldom usage I think that's true. )

I did find the Frankland info though it's London so not sure what that means.

img20200808_123737.jpg img20200808_123758.jpg

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks to me like it was a part of a wedding service?

7. say_it_slowly

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted