Featured Coalport plates F Crook Belgravia

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Nov 17, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Following on from Houseful’s post about cups and saucers, I picked these small plates up yesterday. £2 for three of them so no worries if they are very common!
    Houseful, the centre motif is very similar to yours and looks to be a Coalport ‘thing’!
    I thought it would be easy to track down this pattern but have so far failed.
    c17cm across.
    I believe F.Crook Belgravia were retailers to the very wealthy. Is it likely this pattern was a special order or have I just not found it yet?!
    Thanks for looking :)
    537D1855-233F-4CF8-8EE4-74C40887DA75.jpeg A114278E-FBAE-4EDB-8AA2-0ED0FB45D74A.jpeg 0D3B4440-E8C5-4E04-A5DF-0A3D7CF0841C.jpeg 9E5CDE6D-75F5-4DB1-A26D-330DE3C12BF8.jpeg C98F00A5-34A7-4FD0-ABFE-07087F6A6854.jpeg

Houseful, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree the motif does look like a Coalport thing. Good advice from OBB. Plates are lovely, I would have had to buy them too!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Neece

Neece Active Member

This isn't helpful, but I stumbled across it while taking a try at this one so I thought I'd mention it. This is an exhibit catalog that was actually for tea cups but it speaks of Coalport y1009 (the letter/numbers on your plate) being c. 1891, however, it references a different retailer.
    page 7
    https://pubhtml5.com/bxab/cpch/I_Catalogue02/

Screenshot 2022-11-17 125504.png

KSW likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Wondering when Coalport put "leadless glaze" on their back stamps. Yes, after 1891 when "England" was added. If there is a directory of Coalport pattern numbers then you could find out when that pattern was introduced. I think the pattern is older.

KSW likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That is indeed the post 1891 mark. Patterns were adapted and also commissioned, so it's entirely feasible this was done for the retailer.

KSW and Neece like this.
  6. Neece

Neece Active Member

According to this, they started marking in June of 1820 after winning an award for their leadless glaze.

kentworld and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes it is as it links it to an approximate date. Thankyou @Neece
    I googled that and got precisely nowhere!

For no good reason, I suspect with the Crook mark that this is the case. Commissioned by someone wealthy!.
    I’ll have a look. Thankyou for your research, I really appreciate you looking for me :)

8. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

I dont know if it was necessarily a custom order - some firms made deals with high end retailers that particular patterns would be exclusive to their stores - these 3 patterns only at Crooks - these 3 patterns only at Tiffany - etc... it was a way the retailer ensured that the customer would have to complete their sets at their stores... and also a way to elevate desirability - EXCLUSIVELY AT TIFFANY'S - I mean who doesn't want their china to have a Tiffanys hallmark beside the Coalport mark...

Bakersgma and KSW like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wish mine did! :hilarious:
    That makes sense though.

Rclinftl likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, not for a customer but so the shop could have exclusive designs to them.

Rclinftl and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted