Featured Coat rack closet?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by opoe, Oct 2, 2017.

1. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I think this closet had another purpose when it was made sometime in the 19th century. The shelves are a new addition by the previous owner and that is also what I use it for; clothes. But in the back near the top there are wooden hooks, to hang coats on?
    Did it stand in the hallway of a nice 19th century house so that the lady and gentleman of the house didn't see the unruly mess of different coats hanging around?
    In what style can I place this and at what time? Origins? What would this type of cabinet be called in the english language? 2017-02-01 17.04.25.jpg 2017-02-01 17.04.42.jpg 2017-02-01 17.05.20.jpg 2017-02-01 17.06.07.jpg 2017-02-01 17.08.16.jpg 2017-02-01 17.17.32.jpg 2017-02-01 17.17.53.jpg 2017-02-01 17.19.26.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not a furniture expert, but the hooks seem to suggest a wardrobe for coats. Do you think they are original?
    It doesn't seem very practical to have everything piled up at the back and extra space at the front. And no hat rack?
    I wouldn't want to put wet coats in there.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Remember when these were made. Most people only had two sets of clothes, everyday stuff and a good set for church and funerals. Closets were not build in yet.
    All of your clothing could be stored in these wardrobes in bedrooms.
    greg

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The really old wardrobes generally just had hooks. General use of rods and coat hangers came about later. Greg is correct in thinking the use was more likely in the bedroom than in the foyer. Looks to be walnut circa 1880.

5. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

you got a point there, would not be good for the wardrobe itself, all that moisture...hats just go on top of it maybe? The bottom part also is very deep and there is no drawer, unlike many cabinets this size, maybe for shoes? I think the hooks are original, for the untrained eye it looks like the same wood is used in the rest of the interior(apart from the shelves ofcourse)
    I do not have a built in one, my appartmentblock is from the 50s, that is why I use this one...;)

edit... botched sentence correction

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I grew up in a house built prior to 1800. There were no closets so we had wardrobes with hooks in all the bedrooms. The last addition built c 1850 had a 2' x 2' closet. When Granddad installed plumbing about 1936, he decided to add rods to the wardrobes - a great improvement - both! We still have a number of the wardrobes, many made of black walnut from the property but still no closets!

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Just yesterday I wrote a full paragraph on the exact same lines as your post, in regards to a family home I am documenting...............13 bedroom and not a closet one!

8. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

2017-02-03 13.08.37.jpg Wanted to make some more pictures, especially of the bottom part, where one would have expected a drawer but there is none, then this happened....

I waited patiently for them to do their nap and then tried again...

Attached Files:

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Yes, we had a big old wardrobe in our house in England where I was born and grew up, our old fat cat would climb up on it and eyeball us all from above, he could sure move fast when he heard my mother call him for num nums .. with much thumping and clatter he would reach the floor and his big clumsy feet would race full speed to the kitchen and my mother .. he would purr like an outboard motor and lovingly rub against her legs until his bowl was full and then gobble it up as though he had never had a meal in his life .. the GREEDIEST cat I've ever seen, geez I loved that big cat .. Joy.

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

But to answer the original question, although I am not a furniture expert, I'd call this an "armoire," a tall piece of furniture that usually has two doors, used to store things such as clothes or cats.

Also could be called a wardrobe.

11. Christmasjoy

Sorry I went off topic there, my memories are sharp and clear and I do tend to share them with one and all .. I will try to stop doing this, Joy.

12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

As countless peeps here have said to me - DON'T YOU DARE!

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's what makes this place homey and comfortable !!!:happy:

Unless you're looking for a site that just concerns itself with the facts.....for intelligent folks only !! :p

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...and cats! Just ask the cats.

15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I am off topic MOST of the time around here, just part of the dealio.

16. Christmasjoy

17. treasurebox

treasurebox New Member

Oh my God these are very beautiful antiques.I love these type of furniture designs. Thanks for sharing the images.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Treasurebox!!! And WELCOME aboard!! We do tend to have a lot of fun and go off topic, but also get the job done of dissecting antiques of all varieties and ages!!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::):):):):):)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  19. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

:cow:Just the :panda: facts sir. :pigeon: Just the :greyalien: facts. This is a :chicken: very :cat: serious :beaver: forum :android::wacky::nailbiting::wideyed::woot::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

20. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Please say it ain't so.

Draft saved Draft deleted