Featured Cobalt blue overlay vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Trixie1b, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Trixie1b

Trixie1b New Member

Was gifted this by my mother. She’s had it since the late 50’s but it was gifted to her so I’m sure it’s older than that. Can’t find any info on it and it has no obvious markings. Any info on origin or values is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4EFFCC44-BFF8-490C-ADEB-156BD03A011B.jpeg 449139E2-B99F-4FAD-8B44-5E8D1E8DCADB.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Trixie!
    Please take a photo of the bottom and check Full Image.

3. Trixie1b

Trixie1b New Member

4. Trixie1b

Trixie1b New Member

Just updated photos.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is a cobalt vase with silver overlay. Look it over very carefully there should be a tiny sign somewhere saying. Sterling. If not it could be before 1891. No matter how old or new it is a really beautiful vase.
    greg

ritzyvintage, J Dagger and Aquitaine like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The design says 1890s, but most of the overlay I'm used to seeing comes from the 1950s. So.. no idea, but I'd give it house room.

lovewrens likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd give that a gentle clean with a Sunshine Cloth, it will look very fine then.

Shape and style are typically late 19th, so it could be of that age.

8. HWR

HWR New Member

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-15 at 15.38.21.jpeg Hi all. First post >.<
    I have something very similar that I am trying to establish a value on. Can anybody help me? The embossing is gold and it measures about 13 inches high.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
    pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Start this as a new thread, it will get seen more.

HWR likes this.
  10. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

It sure is a lovely vase. Probably produced in USA during the late 1800s. I would advise being very careful whilst cleaning it. Wiping it with a cloth can easily catch the metal overlay, and too hotter water could cause stresses/cracks to the glass itself. Try this following method! It's a great way with silver and it wont damage the glass.

The high alcohol content of Gin or Vodka will dissolve any grime and bacteria that’s picked up over time. For pieces that need a little more elbow grease, you can put aluminium foil in with the shiny side facing up. Then, soak the vase for around 20 minutes in gin and 'warm' water, and rinse with dish-soap afterwards. Leave the vase to air-dry... and drink the gin!!! :happy:

Janice Nicholls and HWR like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted