Cobalt Blue & White Willow serving dish? unmarked

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Slykitty65, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Picked this up to go with my grandmothers Blue Willow China set. It's unmarked, has the traditional Blue Willow design motif in Cobalt Blue slip with a ruffled rim. Almost 4" round, clear glaze except for the inside of the bowl which has a satin pearly type finish.

Does anyone know what kind of a bowl it is? The texture inside the bowl doesn't seem suited for jam, pickles or anything wet that would stain it. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking, appreciate the comments and suggestions. IMG-5297.jpg IMG-5298.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

WAG - Could it be a finger bowl?

Slykitty65 and judy like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

My everyday dishes are blue willow which was a transferware pattern made up by an Englishman in the 18th C in a Chinese style and it's still produced to this day by many manufacturers.

There are many blue and white pieces in Asian styles that look good with the pattern but are not the traditional blue willow. I would say that this dish is more in the Canton style but should look good with the traditional willow. My guess is that is was a planter or maybe a potpourri dish, something like that.

Slykitty65, antidiem, dgbjwc and 2 others like this.
  4. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

It may be a finger bowl, would be sensible given size and the inside glazing.

antidiem likes this.
  5. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

I have many Blue Willow transferware dishes. My grandmother owned a Hotel in the late 1930s and I inherited 16 of those old divided heavy plates that she saved. I have added many pieces over the years which include some from the Buffalo Pottery. This was the first dish I have found with that satin type finish on the inside of the bowl. I don't think it would be suitable for the plant dirt, but maybe potpourri would be a good guess, or the finger bowl such as WAG has suggested. I know that HIC (Harold Import Company,1957 to present) made a line of Blue Willow which I recently picked up a sugar and creamer from a child's tea set. Thanks for the helpful information :cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted