Featured Coffee set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by giulissa, Dec 5, 2018.

1. giulissa

giulissa Active Member

I apologize again for the inconvenience of last night and in the meantime I thank all those who have given me their sympathy and their welcome in this group.
    Some years ago I found one item that I cannot identify:
    Coffee set for two in a very very ight porcelain bisquit, very ornate, consists of 2 cups with saucers, coffee pot, milk jug, oval tray. I do not understand whether it is a bad taste object of the 50s or whether can be an object of the late 1800. No sign or brand. Someone can give me any information?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]l

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome back Giulissa, I am glad you were not discouraged.
    Other people on the forum will know more about your set. They may want to see the bottom of a saucer or the tray, even though there are no marks.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Brava, Giulissa! You are now a perfect poster. :happy:

I suggested before that maybe this would be Bavarian china, but now wonder if it is Japanese with a German influence. We have members who know much more. I am only speculating, trying to think of words to use for searching.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Giulissa!

Welcome to Antiquers.

Beautiful set............

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Interesting set. In the style of RS Prussia or Royal Bayreuth but the decoration is a bit too crude. Someone went to a lot of trouble on those molds, though. I think it certainly has some age. No one would design a mold that ornate nowadays. The azalea blossoms were popular in the early 1900's if that's any help. I'm leaning towards Browen's views that it's either German porcelain trying to imitate better makers or a Japanese version.
    Don

6. giulissa

giulissa Active Member

Hi Don,
    you have been very kind to answer me and your suggestions have been very useful. Now I know that my coffee set is in the style of Royal Bayreuth and I am satisfied. The strange thing is that in Italy this brand is virtually unknown and all the images I found come from the USA and I do not understand why.
    Then I have to tell you that my photos are bad, done in full sun I even managed to flatten them all.
    The thing happens to me often.
    Thank you again
    Giulissa

i need help, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Giulissa - I'm glad you found my comments helpful. It's a lovely little set and if it came up at a local auction I may very well have bid on it myself. It surprises me also how many pieces we find here in the US that did not apparently receive wide distribution on their home continent. Your pictures told me pretty much everything I needed to know but you can't include too many bottom shots. I suspect the bottoms of all the pieces are finished the same with the exception of the tray. Welcome to the boards!
    Don

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is a stretch of logic, but, maybe this is a clue they were made in Occupied Japan? It seems natural that much of Japan's durable export products would have come in this direction at that time.
    (In case Giulissa is using the aid of a translation program that may, or may not, translate this ambiguous wording correctly.) Giulissa, Don does not mean you should not post too many photos of the bottoms of china pieces, he means there is no such thing as too many, please always post at least one, even if there are no markings.

Any Jewelry, dgbjwc and i need help like this.
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Welcome Giulissa.
    Your pot looks more like a tea pot. Coffee pots usually have longer spouts.
    Patd

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  10. giulissa

giulissa Active Member

Hi Patd
    I do not think so because the cups are very little (5x3 cm) and you can use them for tea. Unless you're a little bird.
    Thanks anyway
    Giulissa

i need help, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. giulissa

giulissa Active Member

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I put the photos by mistake twice. It will not happen again.
    Sorry again for my beginner mistakes
    Giulissa

i need help, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Please don't worry, posting photos twice happens all the time.

What Don and Bronwen meant, was that it is good to include photos of the bases. Because even without marks, a base can reveal something of the period and origin.

Draft saved Draft deleted