Coin necklace: contemporary (1890s) or more modern?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Hamburger, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

What can folks say about this piece, please? The coin is an 1890 florin (Austria-Hungary) -- would it have been repurposed soon after (19th century medallion man!) or is that more likely to have happened later?

I could only find one -- tiny -- mark, on the uppermost 'loop' of the pendant/bezel (unfamiliar terminolgy, sorry), but don't have a clue what it might be. Anyone?

Thanks for looking!

IMG_6329.JPG IMG_6326.JPG IMG_6328.JPG 16_15_28_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

How long is the chain? Looks long, could be a muff or guard chain. I can see a possible silver mark on it too on the ring fastening to the spring ring.
    Sorry I can’t help with the coin.

Hamburger, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those Habsburg coins are always decorative.:) It is Franz-Josef I, btw.
    My guess is 1950s-60s for the setting and the bail. The bail looks odd this way around. If the other side is also decorated, I would turn it over.;)

KSW, Hamburger, stracci and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

To my eye the frame is consistent with the age of the coin. Have seen plenty of cameos in similar settings. Can the pendant slide off the chain or is the bail too small to go over the small end? Agree the bail looks odd with the wide end down.

KSW, Hamburger, stracci and 3 others like this.
  5. A100JS

A100JS New Member

There is a current ebay auction for an 1890 1 Gulden Austria-Hungary coin, in comparable condition to yours in case you were wondering about its value. The seller is asking $35, with $6 shipping. Another example in what looked to be inferior condition sold on 2/19 for a best offer under $26.10 US $6.68 shipping). Anyway, apparently the coin does have silver content -- a real plus, the way precious metals have performed.

Hamburger, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Those coins are .833 silver, a controlled and reliable fineness which led to .833 becoming the silver standard in many countries in different parts of the world.
    The original .833 Austro-Hungarian coin, the Maria Theresia Taler even was the currency for Yemen at one point.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looks like the frame is soldered onto the coin? If so I think the coin has no collector value as a coin, its value is now as a piece of jewelry.

Hamburger and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

True, on both.
    The value as a pendant would be about the same as the coin prices A100 mentioned.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was probably made as a souvenir. The coins were plentiful at the time, and adding the work around the outside and the bail made it a nice piece to take home to Mummy or Sister.

Hamburger and Bronwen like this.
  10. Hamburger

Thanks for all the input so far!

The coin is indeed both an ex-coin and not of any great value. By 1890 they were using .900 silver, but the coins were smaller and much less impressive than the Maria-Theresien Talers and weighed less than half as much. Only around 11 g of fine silver and I've seen them go for 7 EUR on eBay. (I've also seen dealers asking 40 EUR for particularly good examples). Similar mounted coins seem to go for around 30-35 EUR.

The chain is 60 cm long and it was easy to remove the pendant. There are indeed marks, but I'm really struggling with them:

IMG_6340.JPG Snap_001.jpg

I know those photos aren't great but they do capture pretty much everything. Maybe one of our experts can nevertheless get something from them?

IMG_6339.JPG
    :shame: I think it was already clear that the world of jewellery is not my world. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Bronwen, Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It looks much better this way around.:)

I tweaked some of your photos a bit:

upload_2021-2-28_14-23-33.jpeg

I wonder if the mark on the right (above) could be the >1965 Hungarian mark for .900 silver, the one in the centre in the photo below:

upload_2021-2-28_14-25-44.jpeg

On the following pic the mark looks like a maker's mark which includes a +. Difficult to see, I know. I have seen similar +marks on Austrian jewellery from the 1950s and later.

upload_2021-2-28_14-28-53.jpeg

Bronwen and Hamburger like this.
  12. Hamburger

Thanks, AJ. You could well be right, but I'm still struggling. I've got some slightly better afternoon images, using only natural light and shadow from my hand. First the chain:

WIN_20210228_15_50_01_Pro.jpg WIN_20210228_15_51_38_Pro.jpg

And a closer look at the mount (with a new mark revealed by repositioning the bail!):
    WIN_20210228_15_53_42_Pro.jpg
    Could the newly visible mark just be a number (900)?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Much better, thanks.
    The mark on the chain could be the Austrian >1922 one for .800, on the right:
    [​IMG]

http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYEUHALLMARKAUSTRIA.html
    Yes, it is, but it is 800, so the same fineness as the chain. It is likely that they always belonged together.

Bronwen, Houseful and Hamburger like this.
  14. Hamburger

I think that's it -- many thanks! (So next year it will be "possibly antique" ;).)

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I wonder if the letter to the left of the bird is a J, in which case it was assayed in Innsbruck.
    I still think it is 1950s-60s, so you may have to wait a little longer.:sorry: I could be wrong.;)
    If you want to sell it through ebay or a similar platform, be sure to include the word 'Trachten', folk costume, because this kind of jewellery is mostly worn with folk costumes.

Bronwen, Houseful and Hamburger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted