Featured Coin on Spoon. Removable? Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Hey folks.

So, interesting story: I won a coin at auction, which is very old, very silver, and very shipwrecky.

Problem is, said coin has been grafted onto the end of a spoon (soldered or something). Is it possible to remove the coin from the spoon? The end of the spoon-handle is just kiss-touching the rim of the coin. If possible I'd like to pull them apart somehow.

The coin is most definitely genuine, and has been documented - apparently, joining coins from this shipwreck to spoons was a fad or something, which was done for reasons I don't understand. Personally I think it's ugly and would like to just have the coin.

This is another spoon set up in the same way, from the same wreck. I think it's a travesty to treat shipwreck treasure like this. All it would take is to cut the coin off the top of the spoon...

[​IMG]

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Personally,I like the spoon! Its quirky. I remember way back when being able to buy pieces of eight at Mel Fishers museum in Key West. I had a necklace made out of one. They arent spectacularly rare,so Im not sure it'd make a difference? But I dont know coins,so... :)

Sunnarth and Houseful like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I would think the edge of the coin had to be filed using a very fine file so the solder joint would hold. In that case, if you are able to separate them, would the coin have any value since I would think that would be considered damage? Just wondering.

Houseful likes this.
  4. Shangas

The way I see it, the coin's been damaged already after it was soldered onto the spoon, so I don't see how anything extra could be any worse.

5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Might be worth more as is. Is the spoon silver?

6. Mart

Mart Active Member

I would definitely recommend leaving it as is. Chances are you’ll end up damaging both the coin and the spoon. And besides it adds to the appeal IMHO.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd leave bad enough alone.

8. Shangas

Spoon is silver. I just think it's a tacky way to try and upsell an antique coin.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Well yeah, but at least it's not chrome or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted