Coin silver, makers mark ID help.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Aug 23, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Trying to find the maker that belongs to this mark. I once found it listed as unidentified on one of the silver sites but can’t find the link again. Usually a pictorial eagle on American coin silver puts it in NY, typically northern NY. Guessing the same can be said for this one but hoping someone recognizes it. I have the Flynt & Fales book but cant find it at the moment.

913400D2-65D9-4E77-9DBA-56C7DF7A7CEB.jpeg 038D4E85-1098-4C6B-99F0-BB90C6EB7359.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Lovely spoon!

Christmasjoy and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

you’re right in that it’s not the typical NY eagle. I keep seeing one though.

I also kept ending up at J Watts. I suppose your are probably correct. Stylistically it fits his work. I just keep seeing a bird rather than horse even though the shape is insanely close to JW’s horse. The shield seems to very much be a different shape though and I haven’t seen a star variation on that part of his mark. Unless this is just poorly struck or oddly worn.

edit: horse or is it a dragon? Lol

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here are the 2 James Watts marks......a little bigger???? So I might say maybe not this mark??? Shield is very different....

JAMES WATTS-gigapixel-scale-1_50x.jpg

Christmasjoy, komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Okay. So after all that discussion and all those pictures of marks we do finally have a conclusion.

J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

Well, Catherine Hollan wrote the book on 'Philadelphia Silversmiths', she is well-respected, her books focused on specific areas; I know Trefid to be an excellent researcher as well, and they both believe the OP's mark belonged to Butler...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  9. J Dagger

Thanks Cheryl! I hadn’t found that thread. Glad to get an answer to this one! Too neat a piece to have remain a mystery.

Bakersgma and DragonflyWink like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, J.

J Dagger and DragonflyWink like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

While I like coin holloware, earlier coin flatware, aside from the history, doesn't usually interest me much, but since my primary interest lies in mid 19th to mid 20th century American and Scandinavian flatware, your ladle, with its pretty shell bowl and unusual pierced 'f-holes' on the handle appeals to me (and I'm a sucker for twist stems) - it is a nice piece...

~Cheryl

komokwa, J Dagger, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

You too? A terrible affliction.:facepalm: I love it on flatware, but also barley twists on furniture and candlesticks.:happy:

J Dagger and bercrystal like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

Oh yeah, same for me - a bit twisted, myself...

Will share one of my ladles, a gift from my Mom decades ago (when she realized I was serious about silver), 1860s sterling by William Gale & Son, with a somewhat concerned looking moustached fellow. Soeffing's 'Silver Medallion Flatware' (1988) shows a similar piece with 'helmeted male', noting all found appear to have been engraved by the same hand, commenting, "Of all the engraved medallions produced, this is the best to be seen."

galeladle.jpg

~Cheryl

14. Any Jewelry

I am more than a bit twisted.:wacky:
    Gorgeous, Cheryl. Your mother had excellent taste.:)

komokwa, bercrystal and DragonflyWink like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

From all of all YOU peoples research, I'm lovin' Butler as well!!!!! NICE work, Peeps!!!:joyful::joyful::singing::singing::singing:

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted