Coins - Hope I Didn't Make a Mistake

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tie.dye.cat, Oct 26, 2022.

1. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I put up two Morgan dollars this morning, and they sold within 15 minutes. I had tried looking both dates up on ebay but I was only getting like 15 results for each one - not much to go by. Turns out, if you don't use "U.S." or "US" in the search results, you get thousands of results.

I know the 1890 CC coins sell for more, but I'm seeing non-CC coins for plenty of money too.

Anyone who knows coins mind taking a look at them to see if they're anything special? both sold in the $30+- range.

Or would this be better to take over to the Coin forum site?

CoinJ.jpg

CoinK.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    komokwa likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The 1890 is very clean and should weigh very close to 26.73 grams.

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

It's 26.76 according to my scale. I noticed it's in much better condition than the other one.

Should I have had it graded?

I don't mind taking a hit for my stupidness, but I'm wondering just how stupid I was.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  4. Roaring20s

5. tie.dye.cat

That one weighs 26.07. That seems pretty light; how much can wear account for attrition (not contrition as I previously wrote..lol)?

I would be surprised if these weren't legitimate coins. They were collected well over 60 years ago by my grandfather. Then again, I don't know how long some of these have been faked. I will check out the tests in your link. Thank you.

Edited to add: I have a pretty cheap scale, so it may be off a bit, but not that much.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  6. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Neither coin is particularly rare. The 1890 had 16.8 million minted and the 1882 about 11 million. Compare that to the 1893-S and 1884 of which about 100,000 each were minted.

Grading the 1890 wouldn't help much with the value. There are plenty out there that have been graded MS-60 or better. In fact, 9763 coins of the 1890 have been graded MS-63 while only 10 of the 1893-S coins have achieved that level.

7. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Both coins are real. Neither are rare enough to merit faking.

8. Roaring20s

Being collected 60 years ago by a family member is good. Neither have "key date" value that would make them less likely to be faked.

bercrystal, komokwa and tie.dye.cat like this.
  9. tie.dye.cat

Thank you all for the messages. That reassures me. The info on the grading is particularly interesting and helpful.

I'm so glad you all are knowledgeable on this stuff. I have the patience for researching jewelry, but coins give me a bit of a headache.

pearlsnblume, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted