Coke sleigh sign

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by antidiem, May 21, 2014.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

5' wide and nearly pristine. Had only one BB gun chip which I carefully de-rusted, properly primed and painted and I can't even find it today. Has only one other tiny "ding" which did not affect the porcelain enamel.

I would like to get opinions of how much this could be worth in today's market. I've searched for YEARS in books and later online, but never have found this particular size sleigh sign in this original condition.

I don't remember what year this style was manufactured.

(Pardon my brushes and stuff in front.)

ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED. TIA

1cosi1w.jpg

2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Hi Anti,
    One sold at auction in Las Vegas in 2012 for $325.00, found at live auctioneers.

antidiem likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, Anund -- I'm still waiting for somebody to post a question that I could possibly help with. It's good to see you here.

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Hi Fig and Hi Bev!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  6. antidiem

Hi Anund! Good to see you here! Thank you so much for searching for me.

I took a look at the one on Live Auctioneers (Lot357 - if this is the correct one) - but it was in much worse shape than mine.

The biggest difference: that one was only 3.5' long, while mine is fully 5' long.

In fact, I have NEVER even been able to find another 5' long one, which is why I ask all of y'all here to please keep your eyes open for the larger size.

I will say that even in the rougher condition, I'm surprised the 3.5' didn't get a higher price, but then I don't know how much it cost to have it shipped out (if it was) and I don't know how much the "buyer's premium" and other costs associated with the auction could have been?

Thank you so much.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Call American Pickers. They love this stuff!

8. antidiem

AHAHAHAA!!!

THANKS FOR THE GIGGLES, BEV!
    *hearts*

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Don't you love the girl with all the tattoos??

antidiem likes this.
  10. User 48

User 48 Guest

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    antidiem likes this.
  11. antidiem

Thanks Maxine! I think that seller must have measured the "curves" on each end but the height is definitely the same as mine. My measurement was approximate.

Now I know what to list it for when I'm ready to ditch and bail!

I don't know why I've never been able to find one in a collectibles book?

12. antidiem

HAHAA!! I consider that a compliment, thank you Bev!

This is "Springtime for Threadzilla" avatar by the wonderful boardie artist NSS.

I hope he has received my email to come on over here too! ;)

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

That sign is gorgeous! I would think for the size and condition $1200 and it would go fast where I am (West Coast Canada)
    Mary

14. antidiem

Thank you for your thoughts about the value, Mary. I'm not quite ready to part with it yet but that time is coming.

15. antidiem

I sold all of my Coke collectibles books years ago. I am thinking the sleigh sign logos were done in the 1950s but I'm not sure? I do remember seeing them when I was a child, so that is what I am basing my guess on. Does anyone know the circa of this style of porcelain enamel sign?

NO SLEIGH SIGNS were shown in any of my books, so I got rid of them after a few lookups of some other Coke items I'd collected long ago.

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I do think 50s. Here in the Midwest we would be hard pressed to get $1200.00 unless maybe in a big specialty advertising auction. I am not saying that it shouldn't be worth that but getting anyone to part with significant money for anything around here is tough.

17. antidiem

Hi Brad! Good to see you here. I'm keeping it for now but not forever.

Sorry to hear the midwest has become as depressed as the deep south.

Draft saved Draft deleted