Collectors of Autographed Opera Singers?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by SeaGoat, Oct 20, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

What would the market be called for people who collect Opera singers, composers, and the like?

I have about 2 dozen framed and unframed pieces..
    Some are actors and actresses as well.

They date from the 1880s to the 1960s.

Unfortunatly no COAs, Im almost positive they are legitimate, well all except Bing Crosby's..
    His looks like a "fan club" print out.
    I found another on Ruby Lane with the exact same markings and fading
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/802481-157/Signed-Bing-Crosby-Photo-Letter-Dated

judy likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can't really address this very well, but have one example from about 10 years ago. I had purchased two cabinet photos of well-known people of the 19th century. One was an actress and the other was a male opera singer (an Italian whose name I forget, but he was well known back then). I paid $15 at an antique mall for both... so average of $7.50 each. The opera singer's name was written on the front, under his name that was printed on the card mount. I found his signature online, and it did look the same to me.

That was during the one year that I was an eBay seller. I listed the opera singer on eBay, since I don't really collect photos of opera singers. It sold for $125, I think! But... this was 10 years ago. I did not say in the listing that the signature was definitely his. Just that it did resemble his signature. The person who bought it didn't care about that. I think he just collected photos of opera singers.

3. SeaGoat

Interesting...

I am curious about how to list them since they will have no COAs

Right now Im researching a signed photo of Garaldine Farrar.
    Shes in her Madame Butterfly costume. The photo is dated 1908, the signature reads
    Garaldine Farrar
    Cio Cio San

Really, I dont see Garaldine in the first name, but looking at her signature it matches.

4. Figtree3

Not sure... if you are thinking of listing on eBay, I've heard that advertising of signed items has tightened up quite a bit. Maybe others have thoughts?

5. SeaGoat

What does "advertising for signed items " mean?

6. Figtree3

Sorry, what I meant was that I heard that eBay is more restrictive in allowing claims that an item is signed by a certain person, if there is no COA. I don't really know the details, so maybe that is not correct. Just something I heard.

SeaGoat likes this.
  7. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Yes, unless there is an acceptable eBay COA, then you have to state that the signature has not been authenticated and it looks like it was signed in ink. You can either state that buyer assumes responsibility after purchases or offer a refund.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted