College Football Memorabilia - pin-backs - what era, please?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SBSVC, Jan 18, 2020.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the approximate era of college football pinbacks like these? Each is a 1 1/4" metal, pin-back button, with attached ribbons & a 1" hollow metal football charm.

I see a number of them for sale online (for all sorts of men's colleges - and at all sorts of different prices) but nobody seems to indicate even what decade they're from(?)

Thanks for your input!

note: Colors are "off" in this photo, since I took it at night under artificial light! W&J's colors are apparently red (not orange) & black...

W&J pin 1.JPG

Joe2007 likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I remember that back in the 60's girls were "going steady" if they were wearing their guy's football charm like these on a chain around their necks. Not a clue about your pins though, sorry:rolleyes:

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, SIS! (Do kids still "go steady"???)

p.s. Did a guy have to play football in order to have a football charm for his girlfriend to wear(???)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

60's sounds about right for these.

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Yeah I don't think the kids were old enough to play on real school football teams but I honestly don't remember and I wasn't wearing one;).

My daughters are grown but last time I checked I think "dating" was about the same as the "going steady" and "hanging out" was the old "dating". But then that was a few years back and I won't even guess how close that is. Two of my daughters are married and the other has a live-in boyfriend so nobody is playing the field:D

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Joe! Somehow, I thought they were older.

7. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Pins / pinbacks of that general style have been made since the early 1900s, although yours do look to be of relatively recent manufacture. There are plenty of sports pin collectors much more expert on the subject that we are here, so we'd encourage you to sign in at Net54 [ https://www.net54baseball.com/ ] and ask in their memorabilia forum [ https://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5 ] ...

8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you, BaseballGames! I'll give the memorabilia forum a try!

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted