Color-changing Glass Dessert Set - Maker and Color Name?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

After I saw Bdigger's Heisey Alexandrite thread, I finally got around to taking pictures of a set of 6 dessert plates and sherbets that I've had since the 80's. Purchased at an antique show that was fluorescent lit, the plates and the bowls of the sherbets looked light blue. (The sherbet stems are crystal.) But when I got home, they looked a purple violet color and no longer matched my other dinnerware. So I've never used them, but I still love the look.

The pictures of the purple violet color were done under LED spot lights and are pretty good at showing the color. The only fluorescent blubs in the house are CFLs in a table lamp and the blue is less intense and less true to what my eyes see through the viewfinder. Perhaps because the glass is so thin? When they are in the cabinet with no direct light they look more purple.

Plate and stem LED light.jpg

Stem closeup 1.jpg

Plate CFL light 1.jpg

Stem CFL light 1.jpg

I would love to know the maker and what they called this color.

The plates are 6 1/8 inches across and have a slight optic effect. The under rim on them is nicely polished.

The sherbets stand 4 1/8 inches tall and are 3 1/2 inches across the top of the bowl. As I said above the stems are crystal and the balls (full and half) feel cut to me. The points are very sharp. The glass of the bowls is thin and the top edge is not a safety edge like on drinkware.

So what can anyone tell me or suggest for further research? :)

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

These are fostoria Lafayette plates. I'm not sure if the Herbert's are Lafayette also. Fotoria called the color wisteria. I will look and see if I can confirm the sherberts

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Oh thank you so much!

4. Bdigger

The sherberts are not Lafayette I'll look through my stemware book to see if I can match them up with anything

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The color change is probably caused by neodymium in the glass; it's a "rare earth" mineral that causes the blue/purple color shift. I have some new beads made of it, and an old pin.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here's my attempt at color balancing, but even without it, a shift is obvious.

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Bakersgma

That's more like it, Bob! Thanks.

8. Bdigger

Your stems are proving elusive. I'm leaning toward Cambridge just because they did a lot of stems using the pointy ball, but I have yet to find an exact match in my books. Tiffin may also be a possibility.
    Something close was a stem pattern by Cambridge called aurora optic.
    I could not tell if the ball in the stem was th same

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Thanks for trying, Mike. It's interesting that it was sold as a matched set (although who knows whether the dealer even knew.) And the colors match so nicely and act the same, I guess it would be a logical conclusion if they came to her from the same source.

Is there another view of the stems or more information that would help?

10. Bdigger

No. Your picture no2 of the stem is perfect . It is just a matter of matching it up with a maker . It very well may be another fostoria pattern. I will do more searching tomorrow. The color was tricky to make, and just a small variation of the amount of neodymium added to a batch could really effect the color. I notice in your picture that the sherbert appears to be a richer color then the plate, but that may just be a trick of the light.

11. Bakersgma

The difference in color could be the difference in angle - where the plate was flat on the counter - right?

12. Bdigger

It sure could or even the closeness to the light source. If you look at them in both type of lights at the same time the color is really spectacular. Then try looking at them in the sun. It is a fascinating color to me.

13. Bakersgma

Ha! Next time the sun comes out I'll have to do that.

14. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and TallCakes like this.
  15. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Bakersgma likes this.
  16. Bdigger

Ladybranch and Quirkygirl.......By Jove ,I think you've got it!

Bakersgma likes this.
  17. Bakersgma

You guys are great!! :kiss:

I printed out the catalogue page so I won't forget!

18. Bakersgma

It's interesting that Replacements calls the optic treatment as "loop optic" rather than the "regular rib optic" in the Fostoria catalogue. I think it's actually a better term because of the way the sides of the bowl are rather wavy. The line drawing shows how the spaces in between the optic ribs have a number of swag-like slumps.

19. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

One of the zillion Haviland Limoges patterns has those colors (both of them). Four plates, a white cloth, and you have a dinner party. :)

20. Bakersgma

:D

But I don't have room for a 4th set of china! :eek:

Back at the time when I bought these, my only dinner set was Dansk Generation Blue Mist, which I still have and use for everyday. A couple years later I inherited my great grand aunt's Spode India Tree set, which became the "good" china. But it's in the "rust with green leaves" colorway. So that doesn't work either.

When cleaning out Mom's house, I split the set from our great-grandmother with one of my sisters - imported by LS&S and marked as made in Carlsbad, Austria. It has tiny pink rosebuds and it would probably go nicely, except that it has no dinner size plates (Mom always used it for holiday breakfasts for that reason.)

Not that I do much "entertaining" now anyway. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted