Colorized Photograph/Lithograph?

Discussion in 'Art' started by LoveTheHunt!, Nov 29, 2019.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

This piece is by noted photographer John W. Gregory. He is known for both photography and lithograph, usually scenes from Cape Cod, Ma. area.
    I have seen several much smaller examples of this same image (sometimes a mirror image), but none this large (sight is approx. 13-1/2" x 10-1/2"), and always B&W or half-tone prints. Not only is this one colored, the colors on this piece are, if anything, brighter and deeper than in my photographs of it.
    I can't figure out the technique on this one - some of the gray areas are shiny, like with a silver gelatin print, but all the colors are mat, almost like a lithograph.
    The first image below shows the printed sheet taped to backing.
    The second image shows it under the mat, and the angle highlights some of the shiny areas.
    I've seen color tinted etchings and lithos - but never anything like this... It's almost as if a litho was tinted with the shiny gray to make it look like a photograph!
    What do you say?
    John_Worthington_Gregory-Photograph-Provincetown_Dragger-sheet.jpg John_Worthington_Gregory-Photograph-Provincetown_Dragger-sight.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be hand tinted. That was pretty common, at least into the '60s.

This is a hand tinted B&W photo of Bluenose II from the studio of Maurice Crosby, Halifax, NS, probably from the late '60s
    Photograph Bluenose II Maurice Crosby Hand Tint-a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    blooey and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  4. LoveTheHunt!

Cool - as I said, I have seen hand-tinted etchings & engravings, as well as hand-painted highlights on a lithograph, but I don't recall seeing hand-tinted photographs before.

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Interesting, I thought they were quite common - or let's say USED to be common ...:)

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  6. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

7. LoveTheHunt!

Well, I certainly have not seen it all - even now! :shame:
    Part of what I love best about this business - always learning!

Fid and shallow_ocean_spectre like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted