Combination Militaria and Silver and Shipbuilding

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Jeff Drum, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Found this interesting piece while looking for unrecognized estate sterling. It is marked, but very small and hard to find and hard to read. I haven't tried to research the mark yet, so if anyone can help please feel free (@Bakersgma @DragonflyWink etc)

First time I've seen a commemorative bottle glass from a ship launch, though this must be common (though I do wonder how large a ship needs to be before it gets the champagne bottle launch)?
    PA112979.JPG PA112980.JPG PA112983.JPG PA112977.JPG PA112978.JPG PA112981.JPG PA112982.JPG PA112986.JPG PA112987.JPG

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can't say I've seen it before either, but the maker was Watson...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma and Jeff Drum like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

4. Jeff Drum

Thanks, news to me that the US was making naval ships during the war and selling them to England.

I thought this was a pretty interesting piece, and thought there were more members interested in militaria. Maybe I should have put this in the silver section instead?

5. Aquitaine

I think it's fine right here....it threw me at first trying to figure it out.....before I realized those were shattered pieces of the bottle!!! Cool history!!! I've never seen something like it before!!:happy::)

Jeff Drum likes this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Yes, I assumed that this would be familiar to others. But now I wonder whether making a commemorative piece like this was uncommon, since I've never seen anything like it either. Also wonder what the printed ribbon was for, maybe worn by the one doing the champagne christening? Or attached to the bottle?

7. Aquitaine

Hmmmm....something to query!!!!

Jeff Drum likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Here is one in a wood box with info.... https://lchshistory.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/1BFC4591-09F5-4CBB-A7CC-375945522639

Jeff Drum likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We weren't "selling" them in the War - they were part of the Lend-Lease Act which provided the Allies with military supplies with the intention of being repaid. Whether payment actually occurred I do not know.

Draft saved Draft deleted