Featured Come Play a Hunting Game

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Apr 13, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well given the circumstances. I finally get an opportunity to write to you and to try a silver game again. Here's the rules for those that would like to play:

1. Check out the two photos below. These will be the only two photos you have to work with and no additional information is available.
    2. Assume the cost for everything in the photo is somewhere around $40, do you buy or not? (don't say why yet, so other people have a chance to try the game)
    3. If you have any interesting hints to share with the group, reply with clues...perhaps something like....i think something in that photo might be xxx years old.

After some folks have a chance to play, we can talk about observations and compare notes. Full disclosure, I don't have anything from this photo group in my hands, so no certainty yet... Good luck with the GAME!

image1.jpg image2.jpg

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I will just say, I would most certainly buy them since you did! Master O Silver!

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I would buy. Sticking my neck out a bit but I think one of those items could be around 200 years old.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. Who said I bought anything??? ;) ;) ;)

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I never any good with this, but one of the items looks like it been around the block a few times. I'm not sure about buying it though. I would have to ask here about any marks.

Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I see one or two things that would make me possibly take a chance on the lot :)

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I would risk a couple of 20's on the lot. :happy::happy:

cxgirl, Christmasjoy, MrNate and 2 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be on that too. My spidey sense is tingling even if I'm not that up on antique silver.

9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I certainly would! :cyclops:Love the "mug" on the right and the spoons...:)

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I would as well.

I just wrote all my reasons, then saw you didn't want that.
    Sorry.

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the tongs are thin and bent outwards...I'd think silver..
    the long Tea spoon....likely silver..
    The two spoons....so much work on them.....likely silver
    the mug looks old beat up and likely silver..
    the pitcher....the way the base is made, and how clean it is compared to the rest of the item...and what looks like a folded over rim...... silver..
    the asparagus tongs....i've seen to many plated ..........to know one way or the other....

so ya...40 bucks..........i'm in..

12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I would buy it all ... Love the pitcher !!!

13. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I would buy for 40. one seems good for sure.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

following..

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Two of them make my nose twitch. A third I'm curious about...I think it's a no go, but would be happy to be wrong.

16. Peasnquiet

Peasnquiet Well-Known Member

The small pitcher could be silver and the smallest spoon - would love a closer look at the marks of course but I have other questions:

I assume this is a lot among other lots for sale - if so, what are the other items like? higher end or lower end? Often times looking at an online auction / estate holistically gives an indication as to what you could be buying.

At a fixed price of $40, however, this is likely not an online auction. Perhaps an estate sale - And the sellers knew enough to flip the lot over to show the underside, which tells me that they know at least a little bit what they are doing. In which case it is unlikely they would sell a lot of sterling silver at $40.

But, if you love silver in general and like the designs in this lot, I'd say buy it! Worst case you have something you love to shine up and add to your collection.

If you are looking for an investment to make some money on sterling silver, then buy it! Worst case - Letting us all know what you ended up with, and possibly selling a couple of pieces like the pitchers (the large one is pretty) and just the excitement of it all is worth the $40. Best case you have some nice sterling to sell for a profit (hopefully at some point). :)

17. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I probably would not buy it from the just the photos, no description and and no questions allowed... mostly because I am not a gambler and I don't want to have things laying around that I can't easily sell.

But realize that could be a huge mistake since the silver Master has posted this. :cool:

In a perfect world I would want to be able to better see the marks on the base of the mug in particular which seems to have age and kind of looks like sterling, but who knows could have a giant hole or dent in the back. But since we just have the two photos, no questions allowed of the seller, I would PROBABLY be conservative and not buy.

(If I had these items in the hand, might be a different outcome, but not what you are asking.)

Mr. Nate, we await the results!

18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh heck yeah Id buy it ! Nothing ventured,nothing gained .

19. clutteredcloset49

This is what I posted earlier, then deleted because we were supposed to just give clues.

Even if the large pitcher is silver plate, you would get your money back if not more, before even moving on to the other items.
    The casserole spoon, even if plated usually brings about 12-15 in good condition. Useful and hard to come by.

The sugar tongs, grapefruit spoon, and tankard have a good chance of being silver.
    So more dollars.

The long handled spoon isn't an ice tea, so maybe an ice cream soda spoon. Useful.
    The salad tongs - don't seem to be anything special.

At $40 you won't loose, may not make a lot, but then again you might be surprised.

antidiem, cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  20. clutteredcloset49

When I look at lots, I'm often looking at what I might keep. Then can I sell the rest of the lot, to get my money back, hopefully make money and keep the item I actually want.

Draft saved Draft deleted