Featured Conant ball furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Psittac, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

I would guess this isn't considered an antique, but thought I'd see what info I can get on this. Searching for the maker shows that it can be sought after. Anything you can tell me is appreciated. I have more pictures but am on my phone so it's not easy

Sorry again, conant ball (stupid phone)

20171205_155906_crop_662x558-t.jpg

852_1515607758834.jpeg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You can edit that title. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

1960s 70s maple sideboard.
    Nice usable piece.
    You should be able to sell it.
    Someone will want to paint it.

James Conrad and KingofThings like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, i am goin with cluttered on this one.

5. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

Edit: I think I just figured it out, this furniture company has been around since the 1850's so the items we find going for a good price are older pieces while this one is a newer piece.

We were just going to get rid of it for a few buck's on craigslist until we saw the mark in the drawer and googled it, looks like they can go for a pretty penny. I hate to bring up dollar signs on this forum but considering we were just going to basically give it away it would be nice to know. It's big and heavy and hard to find a place, one of the few if not only thing's we are motivated to sell.

Isn't painting for a bargain CL find rather than a collectible?

At any rate it would be nice to know what type of furniture it would be called.

Again sorry I hate to bring up value, I'd rather get information.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I have a store in Gardner, MA, where Conant Ball, as well as many other well known furniture factories of high quality were located. In my opinion Conant Ball furniture is the most beautifully made of them all.

7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Some Conant Ball goes for a lot of money because it was designed by a well known mid century designer Russell Wright. But there is a lot of conant ball like this that has no connection to Wright and doesn't have the mid century look so sells like any other solid used furniture (I.e sells cheap)

James Conrad, Psittac and judy like this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, i don't doubt it, there is an ocean of old furniture out there that is very high quality by today's standards and selling for a song. The problem is, you gotta go hunt it.

Yep, i bet, until the old furniture industry figures out how to market & ship INSTANTLY i predict prices will stay cheap. I have ALWAYS had to arrange shipping, even when buying from retail sellers/dealers, i have always thought that odd.

Psittac likes this.
  9. Petenurse

Petenurse New Member

I have a Windsor chair with Conant Ball label under the seat. Does anyone know how I can ascertain the age of the chair? It has full manufacturer label, partial shipping label, and a branded mark as well. I'd appreciate any guidance!

Attached Files:

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted