Confused about origin of vase? Candle holder? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Tracylou, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for some help identifying this vessel. The level of detail and quality makes me think Anglo indian Ebony but the subject matter makes me think African. It's a heavy piece and not really a vase as the void is too small. I would really appreciate any information or even wild guesses as it's driving me nuts.

https://plus.google.com/collection/QAubTE

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

judy and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Do you mean this one ?

2.jpg

001.jpg

3.jpg

5. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Tracylou!!! Sometimes it can take a while to figure out the nuances of a new forum.....not to worry....you'll quickly get the hang of it!!!!! To me, I'd say your impressive looking piece looks like the bottom half of a wonderful bird bath, but I don't see any wear on the top to give any indication of that!! However!!!!! There are many others more knowledgeable than I who will be along!!!! Can you give dimensions and maybe show the bottom??

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is either ebony or another dark or stained wood, made in India or Sri Lanka. I wouldn't call it Anglo-Indian, because it looks post-colonial.
    The long palm leaf decoration, and the lotus leaf border just below the long palm leaves, are classic South Asian, and also used in Southeast Asia and Buddhist iconography.
    Would love to see the rest of the animal frieze, a picture of the top and bottom, and could you give us the size please.

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

My usual proctological question: Could we see the bottom please?

9. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Nice piece, are there any splits? A carved piece like that will often split unless the wood is well seasoned and does not end up in a dry climate. Looks almost to good for hand carving.
    Any idea of age?

judy likes this.
  10. Tracylou

Tracylou Member

Hi, no splits, I'd be suprised if it isn't carved. It's definitely wood though. How else can you make wood look like that without carving it? In response to a previous reply, it's just got old green baize on its bottom. Should I remove it?

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted