Featured Confusing bead necklace!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jul 5, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Really sorry to do this again but what do you think these beads are made of?. As usual I bought them because they looked odd and I want to learn!
    Feel like plastic, have a few swirls that make me think man made plastic and some beads have ‘seams’ but......not all the beads have a seam and the seams are more like fault lines than manufactured seams.
    Also they look to be delaminating in places- I’ve taken a photo of one end where you can see it. Some sort of lacquer? Wonder if this is contributing to the odd greyish sheen.
    They do fluoresce under UV but not mega, just a gentle glow.
    Looking at the thread holes it suggests amber but the swirls etc are throwing me off.
    OH has just grumbled at me and said ‘ Oh for heavens sake just ask the forum again’
    Help please :)
    Thankyou
    48C90333-5210-42DC-BD08-14DC2A94D0CE.jpeg 77069619-881B-4398-A5FB-FDBA009134C4.jpeg 2CCD8A29-1865-4F2B-975D-32646026757F.jpeg 232892E9-2DE6-411A-8602-1DEA631CCC91.jpeg 091ECF98-6586-46C5-AC89-920952ED2017.jpeg 5C30091E-85AA-4D3E-8E94-385AA872C4BA.jpeg 7863D73E-90F7-49A4-9246-F8139E3D036C.jpeg F6EFE772-F6E9-40B8-965F-04ECF7C11F3E.jpeg B4BBD1B5-7BB4-4C5E-96AA-5C3EB1D0C0F3.jpeg E58BF5B2-9F9F-4E66-83E6-8F31FD04832F.jpeg

Figtree3, Xristina and kyratango like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They look to be coated Something. Beyond that, no idea.

judy, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Ditto on the coated.

Great close-up pics above, but if possible with jewelry posts, always show a whole picture dedicated to the clasp, laid out flat, how it hooks together, etc. I know you are asking about the beads, but the clasp occasionally gives info as to age, etc.

As these beads are coated, thinking some kind of synthetic, but can't say I've seen similar. Maybe others will have thoughts.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucille, You would have thought I would know that by now. 12 photos and not one of the clasp :banghead::rolleyes:

5FC09EA9-2074-4CAC-924D-1B5DB5971108.jpeg

Lucille.b, judy and kyratango like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'd like to learn something about this type of bead, too. I wonder whether coated beads always had plastic beads underneath or whether other materials were used.

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'd have to scratch my brain about it (and please others, please speak up if I missed something) but feel like for the most part, any plastic bead necklace that is coated is probably not a good investment. By coated I mean completely encased, prone to chipping, etc. I think that plastic in particular does not hold coating well over time.

Sometimes you see necklaces with coated beads here and there, maybe mixed in with glass, etc., those can still have a bit of value if the coating is strong and not chipping and/or it is from a maker that is collected.

There are also coated faux pearls --glass coated to look like pearls. Or glass with AB (Aurora Borealis) I don't think anything precious like real amber would be coated.

But again, maybe I have missed something out there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was wondering partly because of a necklace I've had for years that has dark brown beads that are sort of painted (?) that color. It also has a sort of fancy brass clasp, as I recall (haven't looked for the necklace lately). Anyway, the paint or coating is chipping away in several places and underneath is sort of a glowing, pearly surface.. but I think the beads are plastic. So was just curious about the whole phenomenon of coating beads.

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I only bought them out of interest (at £1) so I’m not going to lose much from my investment!. I’m not sure if they are coated or whatever they are made of has maybe been affected by sunlight?. I may sacrifice a bead!

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Sacrifice two, one from each end, and no one will be the wiser. :woot:

But maybe after you're sure everyone who knows stuff (from around the globe) has had a chance. :joyful:

Lucille.b, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Good plan x

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This older dress clip had coated wood beads. Silver Grapes Dress Clip 700.jpg Silver Grapes Dress Clip 001ps1.jpg

Jivvy, Lucille.b and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted