Conklin House Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Nov 26, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Herman Shaefer?
    Conklin's House in Huntington or other?

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. kardinalisimo

Hard to compare as the painting shows just the back of the cabin. Can't tell from the photo if there is a stone fence?
    Who is that Ramsey Conklin?

5. kardinalisimo

By the way, what does the left word read?

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Do you mean the left word in your fourth photo? It looks like "Cottage" to me.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is it signed on the front? It sort of looks like some paintings I saw online by Jessie Conklin.

8. kardinalisimo

I thought cottage too but was bot sure. I don't see any signatures on the front.

9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Could be this place, with artistic license taken for the pretty landscaping in the painting.
    [​IMG]
    SETTLE-DEAN Cabin - Village of Conklin, Loudon County Virginia
    History of the Cabin
    Charles W. Dean worked as a slave for Thomas Settle in the Village of Conklin in eastern Loudoun County for many years. The two families inhabited a house consisting of two log cabins sided-over with boards and joined together. Mr. Settle willed the 142-acre property to Dean and his descendants in 1886.

A bunch of pictures from different angles here:
    Historic Wanderings Settle-Dean Cabin, Conklin, VA
    And yikes! They did a horrible restoration with the windows and doors!

A few nights ago, I found old black and white pictures of the cabin with the original wood siding still on it, but can't re-find them now. Aaargghh! I thought I'd saved the link, but can't find that either.:arghh::(
    settle-dean cabin

The Ramsey Conklin old family cabin, as mentioned above also has similar construction. But still, the landscaping seems it would be all wrong. It slowly disintergrated after the 1930s and is completely gone now as far as I can tell. The out-house is still standing, and the family cemetery is still there. Pics and video of those on the internet.
    conklin-cabin-03.jpg
    Ramsey Conklin Cabin
    Harriman State park Rockland County New York
    conklin-cabin-06.jpg conklin-cabin-ramsey-wolf-dog-01.jpg
    reddit: My Father's Great-Grandfather, Ramsey Conklin, with his wolf dog. (est 1920's-1930's) Near Harriman State Park, NY.
    submitted 2 years ago by tellmelovestories

And then, of course, it could be neither one of these places! :joyful:

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. michaeline picaro

michaeline picaro New Member

It says conklin, there was much controversy surrounding thst cabin and the land being wrongfully taken from my gg grandfather . Many of my family member are buried under pine meadow lake including pheobe jane hand my mohawk from akwasasne. All we are left with is photos and scraps that turn up on the internet

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi Michaeline and welcome. This is from an old discussion so the painting may no longer still be around but always good to have additional information available. Are you saying that you believe you recognize the cabin and that it's the Ramsey Conklin cabin rather than the Loudoun County one?

Actually the Loudoun County cabin is only about 30 min from where I live so I should probably pop over there sometime.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted