Conservation/Preservation UV light Reduction

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Svenedin, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

I was not really sure where to post this so please move the thread if it's in the wrong place.

I have a small collection of antiques: furniture, clocks and some paintings. I've long been aware that sunlight is harmful to antiques and results in bleaching/fading/discolouration. Heat as well as UV can be damaging. I notice that my pieces that are in North-facing rooms, that never have direct sunlight, are not subject to any noticeable degradation over a period of many decades. However, those pieces exposed to direct sunlight have noticeable fade.

I wonder what measures forum members use to protect their antiques from sunlight damage? Obviously, we cannot keep everything in the dark! I have seen UV filtering films that can be applied to windows and that are invisible in use. Does anyone use these? Then there are net or voile curtains which may cut the light down a little but I suspect are not that effective (they also keep flies and peering eyes out though).

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I just basically try to keep DIRECT sunlight off tables in particular, until it passes, but otherwise don't in general keep rooms in the dark! But when we did an addition to one of our rooms, we DID choose the UV filter in the windows.....it does help....I still don't trust it with a couple of Pembroke end tables I have, so I do keep the sun off them until it's gone by!!!!

NewEngland likes this.
  3. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

UV Filtering Window Tint works great, I have those installed, did that myself, not that difficult nor expensive. I then tested the UV with a UV meter on the inside of the window on a bright sunny day, it returned negligible readings by comparison to the untinted window. So they really do stop around 95-98% of UV light. Depending on the rating you obtain. This obviously doesn't stop ALL UV light, but it dramatically reduced it, plus the house is cooler in summer now also.

If you have anything inside the house, also inside any glass cabinets, you can additionally apply the UV filter tint to the glass panels, thereby effectively reducing the UV they receive to nothing.

4. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

That sounds very promising. I have an old house with single-glazed sash windows of old thin glass so there is negligible UV filtering happening. I think I will try the UV film. I have my office in mind as the first attempt. It only has one window (6 over 1 sash) and it faces due South. If it helps with heat as well that is a real bonus as it gets too hot in there in Summer.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I just use reflective "space blanket" (mylar) on the windows - keeps the heat down primarily, but must help with UV too.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem at home.
    However, I have two display windows at the store that take direct sun in the mornings.
    They have a light film on the windows, that apparently were not high enough protection. When I first opened, I noticed that my fabric displays faded very quickly.

There were UV shades already installed that I hadn't been using. They are a dark smoke color, so when they are drawn and the store is closed, you can't see the window display.
    Once I started using them they made a huge difference in keeping the heat out, and the fabrics from fading.

My point being, check how much UV light the film will block.

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Reducing UV light will help, but it will not eliminate damage as long as you have any visible light in the room. The only completely safe environment is darkness. In the museum world, even with UV filters in place, we never display items in direct or diffused sunlight. In my own home, I keep light-blocking roller shades down and cover textiles and artwork with sheets. https://ccaha.org/resources/light-exposure-artifacts-exhibition

Houseful likes this.
  8. Couch Potato Wannabe

Quite right.... In that case, my suggestion for the best possible method to preserve your items, would be to vacuum seal them inside a glass jar. Then submerge the entire jar into a concrete block 6 foot wider and higher than the item inside the jar. Then bury the block of concrete inside a corrosive proof solid gold room 24 floors beneath the surface of the Earth. That 'should' be enough to keep it safe for you to enjoy for many, many, many years to come.

aaroncab and gregsglass like this.
  9. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

I can understand the need to take extreme measures for items in a museum collection of great historical importance but there has to be a balance between conservation and the general public being able to see and learn from artefacts. In the home, I am only trying to preserve items for my own enjoyment as I do not want them to deteriorate when such deterioration can be slowed down with relatively simple measures.

Couch Potato Wannabe likes this.
  10. Couch Potato Wannabe

Are you suggesting my suggested measures are extreme...???;)

aaroncab likes this.
  11. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

A little ;-)

12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

You're a museum curator, aren't you? :happy::happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted