Contemporary enamel metal wall painted piece, artist help needed.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Possibly signed or maybe that is just part of the finish, see back.

Measures 9 1/2 by 7 1/2 inches, weighs almost 2 lbs. Seems like a fair amount of work would have gone into this, edges and back attached piece soldered, etc. More elaborate and heavier than most enamel I run into.

Also displays nicely. That copper section in the back, the spool shaped center piece, holds it out from the wall, front has a bit of a curve. That spool like piece has some markings, but just looks like a bunch of 000's.

Amazingly a thrift purchase (and at my thrift that has been as dry as the Mojave Desert... maybe the monsoon season is coming?)

I'm sure this is new or near new. Thinking it is from an artist's studio, etc. Any hope of finding the maker? Do you think that is a signature on the back? "JC"? or just some squiggly lines?

amet2.jpg amet3.jpg amet3b.jpg amet4.jpg amet5.jpg amet9.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Earlier than new. With that motif and colours, I think late 60s/early 70s.

Jivvy, ulilwitch, scoutshouse and 6 others like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks. Would love for it to be 60s/70s, but was thinking more 90s or even later. (But could be wrong.) It is just a really heavy piece, not like the older enamel from the 60/70s. I was worried to even hang it without a stud in the wall. I thought more of a "nod" to the older or vintage look. It does have that 70s feel, could almost see that image as a 70s album cover.... but the odd construction with the sort of brutalist edged flowers around the piece, sort of a mix to my eye which made me think, some more recent artist's creation. But would be absolutely thrilled if older, so will wait to see if we can nail down the artist.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The copper "wire" from which it would hang (if you dared) is clearly not "original." Awkwardly attached. Got to wonder about original intention.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ooooo I want that ! I think its a tazza that someone converted to hang? Are there numbers on that circular part ? I absolutely love this !

6. Lucille.b

Johnny, you and me both. I love this and hope I can find the perfect spot and KEEP. Almost fell over when it was at my thrift (which has had zero items for months.) I was looking for goofy things for a block party I am running and this turned up. Caught my eye at once, then turned it over, what? it's enamel...? even better still!! (Thinking of it as my gift from the universe for running the block party, lol.)

Bakers.... good eye on the hanging hardware. Yes something has been amended with that. Now see that there is a hole drilled in the soldered extension piece on the back -- some copper wire coming out top and bottom, but cut. So somehow that has been altered.

Not the greatest photo of what I'm talking about, but already had in my computer. You can see that loose piece coming out of the bottom. I'm not sure how you would display this originally. Maybe if we find another one, that question will be answered...

back.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The Listerine people will love it too. :)

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Really lovely piece - Well done! A great score.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice -- I also think new-ish.

i need help, johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  10. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It's beautiful.

i need help, johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  11. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Jessica Calderwood.
    This is google cache from a defunct web page that won’t open.
    A20A612B-5130-4F39-87B6-3BC484E9E226.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  12. johnnycb09

13. Lucille.b

Awesome, Anund. Thank you so much for finding the artist!!! Amazing.

The art means even more to me now. :):singing:

In searching around, I saw other pieces she had done that I really liked. Johnny, I could see that piece you linked in your home.

14. johnnycb09

I do love me a little weirdness!

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?