Contemporary NA Black Iridescent Pot Signed Raindance

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Mar 29, 2015.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

This pot has a few different colors in it. The outside has a rough feel and the inside has a crackle glaze. Signed RainDance 91. Can anyone help?

rain1.JPG rain2.JPG rain3.JPG rain4.JPG rain5.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

No but I like it! :)

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like raku firing.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. kraftblue

Thanks moreotherstuff, I can add that if I list this.

Kath

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It is contemporary raku studio pottery, technically called post-firing reduction. Since it was thrown on a potter's wheel, and glazed, it is unlikely that a Native American potter made it.

Although a few Native American potters are now making America raku, it is not a Native American technique. It is credited to American studio potter Paul Soldner, who developed the method, created glazes, and popularized raku through classes and workshops during the 1960's/early 1970's.

Soldner's development of American raku was an outgrowth of his interest in and study of traditional Japanese pottery, but American raku is not to be confused with traditional Japanese Raku.

gregsglass likes this.
  6. kraftblue

Thanks Taupou

Draft saved Draft deleted