Featured COOL 1970 NUDE PAINTING SIGNED AUDREY FRANK?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 3, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this at a estate sale last week. It's needs to be cleaned, but I liked it & so bought it anyway.
    What is best way to clean it?
    Anyone heard of the artist Audrey Frank? (I googled her but only found a Audrey Frank Anastasi)
    Thoughts on the painting? It reminded me of known artist whose work looks a lot like comics? (Lichtman, maybe?)
    I appreciate any help/thoughts.

ART PAINTING NUDE AUDREY FRANK 1AARESIZED.jpg ART PAINTING NUDE AUDREY FRANK 2AARESIZED.JPG ART PAINTING NUDE AUDREY FRANK 3AARESIZED.JPG

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

My first thought/impression was of a painting inspired by various/some Matisse paintings.

judy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could be she. "Audrey" signature not dissimilar. Suggest you ask. Could be early student piece.

http://audreyanastasi.com

Debora

Audrey Anastasi (33).jpg

4. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

I would suggest contacting Audrey Anastasi through her website. Her work since 1990 is not as crisp and sharp as this one from 1970, but 1990 was when she changed styles and started painting with her non-dominant hand. You may have am early work by this artist. I have found the artist, or if artist deceased, their foundations to be quite helpful with ID. Good luck.

judy, Houseful, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Sniped by @Debora , but I'll add that according to her bio, she was raised in South Florida.

pixlr_20190703201503117.jpg

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

D*** you're good, Jivvy.

Debora

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

8. Dave47

Dave47 Active Member

Joseph Anastasi is her husband, so there is a high likelihood that this is her work. Extremely high from the style and signature.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't clean it! Let buyer do so (if resale is your intention.)

Debora

antidiem likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Thanks all - I forgot about it until someone at my yard sale yesterday found it behind some others stacked together (my girlfriend stopped counting at 87 & said she thinks there has to be at least 200 pieces!) - she offered me $100 for it but I told her that I wasn't ready to sell that one yet. She bought $400 worth of regular decorative paintings & left me her number - in it's condition should I take the money or put on ebay in a auction as is?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Did you contact her through her website? Normally if it is by her they give you a rough estimate of what its worth.

12. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Given the condition of yours it will affect value unless you pay to get cleaned. If its even worth getting cleaned.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect your work is worth what someone will pay for it. But might be interesting (for you and for her) to contact the artist and find out its background.

Debora

14. journeymagazine

I sent her a email with pics of it

Jivvy likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do let us know how she responds.

Debora

Jivvy likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

That was quick! Her response:
    Hello Charles,
    Indeed it is an early work before I acquired the addition of my married name. I’m happy to hear you are enjoying it. Thank you for taking the trouble to contact me.
    I’m curious about the other items in the container, as that particular work was never sold. My niece was living in the family apartment and it may have ended up in storage.
    In any event, I’ll be happy to send you a certificate of authenticity from my gallery.
    Kind regards
    Audrey

judy, Figtree3, patd8643 and 10 others like this.
  17. antidiem

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Naughty niece. Who knows what other family possessions she deaccessioned?

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  19. journeymagazine

Here is the COA she sent me.
    A very nice lady!

Attached Files:

20. antidiem

Cool!! She sure is!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted