Featured Cool Chinese? Japanese? Teapot How would you describe it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Nov 5, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Hoping to find a comp or two on this. It’s going to be where I am tomorrow and I like it. Japanese, Chinese, or other? Found a few that are kind of, sort of close but hoping to get much closer. I love the bird in silk!!!

Also bonus photo of another item. Little figural creature pot. Possibly silver plated based on other items around it. Possibly pottery, hard to tell based on photo. Is this a planter? Love this too but not sure what it is. 87E2A97C-DD4C-4E4A-AEE5-E80DBCFC0A27.jpeg DA8DE8FC-B3C4-4216-BDD2-9B46FF73E63C.jpeg A0023572-1901-4670-A776-F080125BA5E4.jpeg C285270C-37D6-465B-A9C3-E105DECDFA9C.jpeg EA49EB17-D510-4CD9-96ED-12B138CCE659.jpeg 040F351A-BEF7-4D54-8912-B45C989691B5.jpeg 1F756606-F5DB-44C1-B914-E22FDA5C902A.jpeg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. J Dagger

i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t exactly remember, but I think I called it sake jug with gold gilt Samurai, which may have been completely wrong, I really don’t know.

judy, James Conrad and J Dagger like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Satsuma type (Kyoto earthenware) wine pot. Very nice quality - I particularly like the fellow with the toilet roll head.

Oh - and Japanese, of course.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    judy, komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  6. J Dagger

Thanks!!! Hahaha. He’s funny looking. I was thinking marshmallow head but tp roll works too. Edit: spelling

judy likes this.
  7. J Dagger

Any guess as to the era this was made in btw? Later 19th/early 20th?

Edit: spelling

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    blooey likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

yes, that's right;)

J Dagger likes this.
  9. J Dagger

Ended up grabbing it for $100. It was priced at $400. I got there are 11am, it was still there at about 1pm so I made the offer and he bit.

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Didn't look at this thread in time, but if you did not get the little "creature pot" I may be able to spare you any regret. He should have had a hinged lid, with a hole in the top and a little cone shaped cover for the hole, attached with a chain. I think they were made as incense burners, with the smoke coming out of the ears and out the top. I have seen at least two before - but I don't know any more about them.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  11. J Dagger

Aww thanks for the reply! I didn’t get him and I was actually really bummed. I was excited to at least see what it was but he had vanished before I got to the basement. I would have liked him even incomplete if I could have got it priced low enough just because I like wacky figural stuff. Definitely good to know it wasn’t complete and more about it. Thanks for filling me in. Maybe one day I’ll find another!

Draft saved Draft deleted