Featured Cool Find Thrift Store Hunting Today - Small Surreal Big Apple Cityscape!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 24, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is another cool piece I found at my local thrift store today; it's titled Big Apple Skyline - and it's a artist's proof!
    It's cool, but small: 15" x 6" with the frame (which is pretty cool too)!
    I can't tell if it's a print or etching or maybe it was hand colored? It has an unusual look to it.
    Can someone tell me what it is - and who the artist was (that signature is tough to read, but I like what looks like collapsed McDonalds arches with spiderwebs on them(?!) right above it - the whole things reminds me of Dali's melting watch!)
    Also I'd like any thoughts on it, please - is it a winner?
    Thanks all!

ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 1AA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 1BAA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 1CAA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 2BAA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 3BAA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 4AA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 6AA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 5AA.JPG ART PRINT NEW YORK SKYLINE SURREAL 7AA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The McDonald's arches with spider webs are the Brooklyn Bridge. See the sign "Brooklyn" just to the right?

Debora

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

aah! Thanks :) - It's cool, right?

4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I for one, think this is properly cool.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The view is from Brooklyn, as the location of the Brooklyn Bridge makes clear. That looks suspiciously like one of the World Trade Center towers on the far right, beyond the Statue of Liberty. That would bracket the time period if picture is based on skyline as artist saw it.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An NYC skyline with a lot of artistic license. Looks a bit touristy to my eye. And I'm suspicious that the size is stamped on the back. Appears to be dated [20]08.

Debora

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I didn't even look at that sig & date. Definitely an artist's interpretation of the skyline. (The Chrysler Building looks like it has been made into a sword wielding woman in a long skirt.) Size on the back looks to me like it is on a sort of board & was sold that way.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The kind of thing I'd expect to see in a Times Square souvenir shop with all marked A/P.

Debora

Mugzinnys, pearlsnblume and ulilwitch like this.
  9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Well, a very eclectic artist for sure. I didn't know if I really liked it or not but the more I looked at it the more I wanted to see so, yes I think it is awesome.

judy, Mugzinnys and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

So funny. When I opened this post I said the exact words: "that IS cool." :)

I think the consensus is that it is COOL!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

it's cool

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Extremely cool! Also, though I don’t know what that frame is made of, it does *not* look low-end to me. Very nice find, well done!!

ulilwitch and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted