Featured Cool old vintage Bed Cover ? Brocade?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by DeAnne, Oct 22, 2017.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Okay so I went to an estate sale today, bought way to much of course. But I came across this an the reason I think bed cover is because there is only fringe on 3 sides. The crazy thing is I just thought it was an old table cloth because it was folded neatly with only the back showing. It was yellowish brownish. An I just grabbed it to wrap a vase in I didn't want to get broken. But once I got home an unwrapped the vase a corner of it flung back an WOW this thing is beautiful. I have never seen anything like it an my pictures do it no justice IMG_1688.JPG IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1690.JPG I just threw it over the bed in the spare room to get pics an it's a really dark room.
    Does anyone have any ideas on the time period or the correct name I have searched an searched an came up with nothing even close, but odds are I am searching wrong.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is very nice.
    The scene is Indo-Persian, which means it depicts something in India or Pakistan. But it could have been made anywhere really. US, Europe, Turkey (they love this kind of thing).
    Maybe someone else knows more.

Born2it, Sandra and judy like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Is it a piano shawl?

judy likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    I think piano shawls have the fringe on all four sides. I vote for a bed spread.
    greg

Sandra, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I searched the internet for hours an I did figure out that the scene on it come straight out of the history of Delhi a tiger hunt.

Born2it, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wow!! That looks really NICE!!!!

Born2it likes this.
  7. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

Very nice, but that is a different scene, DeAnne. Look at the details.
    But you're right, there is a tiger hunt on yours, which we can only just see.

judy likes this.
  9. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Here are some more pictures on that it's day light. Does anyone know the correct term for the way this was made? The last pic is of the back side. IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1699.JPG IMG_1702.JPG

Born2it, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks jacquard loomed..

11. Any Jewelry

It does.

12. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone I appreciate the input. Now do you think it has any value? I can not find anything to compare it to. I have searched everywhere online an have not found anything with any type of pattern that come into detail like this. TIA

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had an old dresser scarf done like that. It was from the 30s and had a wooden coin shape sewn on to it. I did not know if it was an antique or just a name tag of the weaver. I love your bed spread it was the closest I have seen of my scarf.
    greg

Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Thank you

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a wonderful piece of woven art......it must have value !!

Born2it and DeAnne like this.
  16. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece! Leslie

Born2it likes this.
  17. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted