Cool Old Wooden Folding Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Littlemountain, May 13, 2020.

1. Littlemountain

Littlemountain New Member

Hello;

A few months back while I was out and about, I purchased 4 old wooden folding chairs. I would be interested in knowing more about them; ie. origins,age, style, and value.

So with my very limited knowledge this is what I glean:

The screws fastening the seat are slotted (but not iron), and the bar that forms the hinge is solid. Based on those two factors and the finish, I am guessing that they are late 50's or early 60's vintage.

The words Made In Romania appear to be branded on the under side of the seats. So obviously, made in Romania. But beyond that I have no clue if they were contracted for a domestic company.

As far as style I would only be able to say MCM?

I guessed their value to be around $40.

If anyone would like to correct me and or expound, please do. As always, I am eager to learn.

Any and all info will be consumed with great relish DSC_1771.JPG DSC_1771.JPG DSC_1778.JPG DSC_1771.JPG DSC_1778.JPG DSC_1772.JPG DSC_1775.JPG DSC_1776.JPG DSC_1773.JPG DSC_1774.JPG DSC_1777.JPG .

Thank you.

Darkwing Manor and antidiem like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Used to sell virtually identical chairs new in the late 80s. Not sure if ours were from Romania or Yugoslavia. Used to import chairs from both places. Think these might have been about $25.00 new then. There is no way I could sell them for $40.00 in my Midwest market today. More like $15.00-20.00. Your market might be better than mine.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I take it that you mean $40 for all 4? In that case, I'd say your suppositions are right on. Good work!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

criminal alert

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, I don't know if it's criminal but it is WEIRD spam since the forum is all posted in English & the only word I understand is Nike!:hilarious:

komokwa and judy like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I was thinking $15.00 each. Either way, not a lot of value.

James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Oh Dear, I am guessing our sneaker man got bounced!

8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

These chairs must have been sold by the trailer-full across the US. We had scores of them at the Southern Oregon Historical Society for years. When they fell apart, we refashioned the fragments into vampire-killing stakes.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We still have two that are kind of rickety. Jon uses them at his work bench in the shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted