Featured Cool promissory note 1908 Oswego NY. Help with signature?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Feb 26, 2018.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this interesting promissory note today for a dollar. I need help figuring out who signed it. Whomever it was, was a Captain in the U.S. Infantry in 1908. If anyone can help out that would be awesome. Fairly good condition except for some water damage towards the top. I think but could be wrong it's mold free, what do you guys think?
    20180225_182312_resized.jpg 20180225_182326_resized.jpg 20180225_182410_resized.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's neat.....I luv 110 year old handwriting...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've got no ideas about the signature on the front... on the back, maybe F. Halstead?

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What Fig said.....F or G. Halstead, on the back......

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I keep doing this......hitting the wrong 'post button'......well anyway, @spartcom5, I found this:

https://books.google.com/books?id=smc_o0HDYx0C&pg=PA583&lpg=PA583&dq=1908+Capt+G+Halstead,+U.S.+Infantry&source=bl&ots=XQay9xLZDl&sig=IepoVN4FhdERqBG45BlQVm2Akbk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisv5H9gsTZAhWPoFMKHSLMB1AQ6AEINTAF#v=onepage&q=1908 Capt G Halstead, U.S. Infantry&f=false

whether it's anything or not.....For a Frank Halstead....3rd down in the list....

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I am of the belief that Frank Halstead is the right guy. Appointed to the rank of Captain on 5 Nov 1904, serving from Fort Ontario, Oswego, New York from around 1905 (although periodically assigned to other locations on a temporary basis.) Still listed as active in a 1916 publication of US Army officers.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This morning when I posted I was using my phone. It was fun! :)

Now that I'm on a computer, I think the sig on the front could also be F. Halstead.... just very very individualized and stylized. Interesting signature!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted