Featured Copeland Spode teapot, how old is it please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Feb 15, 2020.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Next up is this little teapot with what I have seen called "Dancing Hours". Is that the correct title of the 12 lovely ladies on the sides? Is there a way to date this piece? Stoneware or pottery? It's not real big, 4" to top of pot, probably 5" to top of lid finial, 7" from back of handle to tip of spout. Spode teapot (1).JPG Spode teapot.JPG

Thanks, y'all, you're the best.

Linda

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I suppose it is, although originally the name was applied to the series of dancing figures John Flaxman did for Wedgwood.

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  4. dude

dude Well-Known Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Later. England wasn't added till at least 1891. Godden has this as a 20th C mark.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, OBB. The India Tree set I inherited from my great-aunt has this mark on the bottom. Not sure whether great-uncle brought back from WWII, but a look at the impressed marks to compare to Spode dating scheme would help.

dude and Bronwen like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I had a Dancing Hours tea pot which was made by Dudson.

8. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

There are some impressed marks on the bottom, pretty fuzzy but I'll try to get some pics. There is also a tiny blue 5-point star off to the edge. I'll photo that too when I can.

Thank you, all.

Linda

Draft saved Draft deleted