Copper bas relief repousse wall hanging any ideas?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kevolee, May 20, 2021.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, this piece looks like it is older and the detailing is very nice. I don't know a anything about this sort of art so I am hoping for some help. Is the image on the front stamped or impressed somehow from behind and detail added or is there another method? I'm not sure what the wire is around the sides and top are for either. The edges are a little darker than the rest of the piece so I think it may have been in a frame at one time. It measures about 14" by 11". Any answers, ideas or leads will be appreciated.

IMG_9578.JPG IMG_9579.JPG IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9581.JPG IMG_9582.JPG IMG_9583.JPG IMG_9584.JPG

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The technique is repousse ,the back surface is "bumped" to the basic shapes while attached to a pitch pot.It is then flipped over and the design is chased to form the detail.

3. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for that, it was fascinating. I guess someone with an attention to detail created this. I see these pieces from time to time but they are usually more generic, and the patina on this one adds a lot to it. Actually these pictures don't really do it justice. There is metal polish in the nooks and crannies and I was also wondering if it's better to leave that alone?

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Probably one of a kind and hand done. Without a signature, it will be very hard to attribute. I would clean the polish out with mild soap and water with a soft toothbrush. I would not polish this any further.